Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Android smartphone MALWARE

This is a discussion on Android smartphone MALWARE within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a new android last month. I think now that it came with Malware??? Ran Malwarebytes & found 5

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tristar
  • 2 Post By Deejay100six
  • 2 Post By vanukuru.vinod
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I bought a new android last month. I think now that it came with Malware???
Ran Malwarebytes & found 5 Malwares. 3 - I put in Malwarebytes 'Whitelist'
The other 2 I Disabled but don't think they stay that way.
Problem for all 5 Malwares - they are in the System Applications.
- I have already reset to Factory - ran Malwarebytes (after reinstalling) & the 5 Malwares are still there.
** Malware is in the following: Google Serv; Weather, Clean Weather Clock; Phenix; Upgrade System App
----in Whitelist:
Android/PUP.Riskware.Cooee.H (com.cooee.widget.samweather clock)
Android/PUP.Riskware.Cooee.H (com.cooee.widget.ClearWeatherClock)
Android/Trojan.Agent.GOG (com.android.appsdataprovider)

*** CAN my phone be fixed ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

This usually is an issue when we purchase Vendor/SP branded phones which come bloated with crapware and some of that can be potentially dangerous.. Last year a whole bunch of China made phones along with Asus and Lenovo were caught with malware which was loaded after QC checks were done, so go figure.

I usually rely on a custom rom or heck just build the Rom by following instructions, it is tedious and voids the warranty, but this seems to be the only way I can control my phone.

That being said, if these apps were part of the build, you might not be able to uninstall it :S Unless your phone is rooted. You can go for a generic ROM and try to update it, By following the correct instructions to perform the update, else you can kill your phone :S

Try uninstalling the apps, if you don't see an option, then continue to use MB and blacklist them, this can cause a little instability and can cause foreclosure of apps, you have to find replacements to them from Playstore to access the functionality. If these are part of the Launcher, they can render your phone unusable for the average user, so proceed with caution here as well..
bmsbms29 likes this.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I did try to fix - no way. Using Malwarebytes is definitely the virus scanner to use & was able to put in their Whitelist - Which helped sometimes a lot -but then i would still have problems. So I decided to return & will be getting a full refund in the next few days.
**** So now when I buy a new phone, I will run Malwarebytes FIRST & if any Malware then I will return *******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
This usually is an issue when we purchase Vendor/SP branded phones which come bloated with crapware and some of that can be potentially dangerous.. Last year a whole bunch of China made phones along with Asus and Lenovo were caught with malware which was loaded after QC checks were done, so go figure.

I usually rely on a custom rom or heck just build the Rom by following instructions, it is tedious and voids the warranty, but this seems to be the only way I can control my phone.

That being said, if these apps were part of the build, you might not be able to uninstall it :S Unless your phone is rooted. You can go for a generic ROM and try to update it, By following the correct instructions to perform the update, else you can kill your phone :S

Try uninstalling the apps, if you don't see an option, then continue to use MB and blacklist them, this can cause a little instability and can cause foreclosure of apps, you have to find replacements to them from Playstore to access the functionality. If these are part of the Launcher, they can render your phone unusable for the average user, so proceed with caution here as well..
****************** Unable to uninstall any of the 5 system apps with Malware. 3 I was able to put in Malwarebytes Whitelist - but the other 2 I can force stop but Phenix keeps running or gaining more data. - So not understanding all you wrote above - Can I remove/uninstall Android then Install a new Android? Would that remove the malware???? I went back to using my old phone but hate to have to not be able to use the new one because it has total Memory: 64GB storage + 4GB memory. & has display of about 5.3". {I did get my $$ back but they did not want me to return -so even if I mess it up, I'm ok}
Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsbms29 View Post
****************** Unable to uninstall any of the 5 system apps with Malware. 3 I was able to put in Malwarebytes Whitelist - but the other 2 I can force stop but Phenix keeps running or gaining more data. - So not understanding all you wrote above - Can I remove/uninstall Android then Install a new Android? Would that remove the malware???? I went back to using my old phone but hate to have to not be able to use the new one because it has total Memory: 64GB storage + 4GB memory. & has display of about 5.3". {I did get my $$ back but they did not want me to return -so even if I mess it up, I'm ok}
Wow, even the seller doesn't want it back!? Why is the make and model of the phone still not known 5 replies down?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Why they don't it back? Probably because it has Malware & I bet they knew it.
This is still a really good phone -usually - sometimes it is not & why I still want it - but if I can not 'fix' it by replacing the System apps then I could still use as a Tablet -sometimes.
I just keep Factory resetting -hoping the Malware will go away - LOL AND I will state that ONLY Malwarebytes has found the 5 Malwares. Only 1 other virus/malware found 1 Malware. Several others I tried found NO Malwares & stated phone was clean. Thanks to this website a few years ago, I found out about Malwarebytes!
*** About phone: I will take pics to attach later.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Why they don't it back? Probably because it has Malware & I bet they knew it.
This is still a really good phone -usually - sometimes it is not & why I still want it - but if I can not 'fix' it by replacing the System apps then I could still use as a Tablet -sometimes.
I just keep Factory resetting -hoping the Malware will go away - LOL AND I will state that ONLY Malwarebytes has found the 5 Malwares. Only 1 other virus/malware found 1 Malware. Several others I tried found NO Malwares & stated phone was clean. Thanks to this website a few years ago, I found out about Malwarebytes!
*** About phone: I will take pics to attach later.
The malware came pre-installed with the phone's firmware/operating system, so by factory resetting it you're only reinstalling the compromised system over and over! It's like , taking some headache relief meds and then again! They may not exactly be malware as such, so it's no surprise that other scanners may be lenient on some of the detections made by Malwarebytes. What are the exact identities of the other malware? You did not state those as you did for the three whitelisted ones.

Can't you simply read the make and model of the phone from its box? If this was an online purchase, why not simply post the link to its product page?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

By resetting to Factory - I was just 'hoping' something would work LOL
Malware on the other 2:
Phoenix - Android/PUP.Riskware.Cooee.G
UpgradeSys - Android/Pup.Riskware.Autoins.Fota

Below copied from my 1st entry:
Malware is in the following: Google Serv; Weather, Clean Weather Clock; Phenix; Upgrade System App
----in Whitelist:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
By resetting to Factory - I was just 'hoping' something would work LOL
Malware on the other 2:
Phoenix - Android/PUP.Riskware.Cooee.G
UpgradeSys - Android/Pup.Riskware.Autoins.Fota

Below copied from my 1st entry:
Malware is in the following: Google Serv; Weather, Clean Weather Clock; Phenix; Upgrade System App
----in Whitelist:
Just as I thought, 4 of them are PUPs (potentially unsafe/unwanted programs/applications or riskware and not necessarily malware. Most scanners have a setting that you can change to control how PUPs are handled. The trojan one is possibly malware posing as a legitimate system app.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I did not list - but the Trojan.Agent.GOG is in the Google Serv
- & I can Disable it but not Force Stop (goes to Malwarebytes Whitelist)
Weather -I can disable & Force Stop
Clean Weather Clock - I can disable & Force Stop
UpgradeSys - could not disable but did Force Stop
Phenix - could not disable but did Force Stop (but don't think it stays stopped?)
************ The current Malwarebytes on this phone is the free one. But I do have the Premium & will put on this phone if that would make a difference. I have not seen anything on Malwarebytes as to how they might deal with PUP problems. I'll need to check. And I need to check on GoogleServ since it has the Trojan.
Thank you for your help. Any other ideas are always helpful.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Any other ideas are always helpful.
Yes, I have an idea...........tell us what phone it is!
SABL and Stancestans like this.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

It looks that china phone that begins with H..... BUT does not state that anywhere (not on phone, or in phone or on box it came in) -just looks like one & the phone does state Model number: P20 Pro Phone Name: Smartphone CPU: MTK6592
Phone Core number: Octa Core Android version: 8.1
Also has Baseband version; Kernel version; Build number; & Custom build version & Legal Information with licenses
There is a sticker on the back that states Model: P20 Pro & Made in China with scan#s for IMEI1 & IMEI2.
*** I probably typed more than you needed but better more than less - LOL ***
Old 03-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
It looks that china phone that begins with H..... BUT does not state that anywhere (not on phone, or in phone or on box it came in) -just looks like one & the phone does state Model number: P20 Pro Phone Name: Smartphone CPU: MTK6592
Phone Core number: Octa Core Android version: 8.1
Also has Baseband version; Kernel version; Build number; & Custom build version & Legal Information with licenses
There is a sticker on the back that states Model: P20 Pro & Made in China with scan#s for IMEI1 & IMEI2.
*** I probably typed more than you needed but better more than less - LOL ***
You told us everything we needed to know even though you seemed especially keen to avoid doing so! Sounds like an imitation of Huawei P20 Pro. Well, I don't know what other "helpful" ideas you expect from this. This thread probably wouldn't have lasted this many replies if you had disclosed this right in the beginning. The P20 Pro has a kirin soc not Mediatek (MTK) by the way. It is no wonder you got a refund and still kept the phone! It seems you volunteered to be it's dump site and I bet those "64GB" aren't real. Good luck with your new phone
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, I figured the phone was not a Real Hu... phone & why I stated what was on the phone. I have seen a video on a fake Huawei phone - but mine does not look like it nor does it act like those did. Because it still runs really well often, is why I am trying to find out if there is anything I can do to get rid of the PUP & 1 malware. As for whether it has 64GB storage - I can only state that the phone holds a great deal more than I could have imagined.
**** & since I got my money back, I don't feel like I am their 'trash dump' for this phone **** And even with the malware/pup I still like it.

Too bad I can't just replace the 'storage' with a new like I could replace the HDD on a laptop. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I figured the phone was not a Real Hu... phone & why I stated what was on the phone. I have seen a video on a fake Huawei phone - but mine does not look like it nor does it act like those did. Because it still runs really well often, is why I am trying to find out if there is anything I can do to get rid of the PUP & 1 malware. As for whether it has 64GB storage - I can only state that the phone holds a great deal more than I could have imagined.
**** & since I got my money back, I don't feel like I am their 'trash dump' for this phone **** And even with the malware/pup I still like it.

Too bad I can't just replace the 'storage' with a new like I could replace the HDD on a laptop. Thanks anyway.
Root the phone and uninstall those stuff.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

I have read about rooting the phone. I'll do more search as to how to.
And if I 'kill' this phone - I will have learned a bunch & won't be out any $$.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

From which website did you purchase this exciting so called Android?
bmsbms29 and Stancestans like this.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I have read about rooting the phone. I'll do more search as to how to.
And if I 'kill' this phone - I will have learned a bunch & won't be out any $$.
Look into custom ROMs as well. Here's to getting you started.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Look into custom ROMs as well. Here's to getting you started.
Thank you.
Closed Thread