Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Android 7.1.1 won't use SD card as internal storage

This is a discussion on Android 7.1.1 won't use SD card as internal storage within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Bear with me; I'm not as tech savvy as most of you. I'm running Android 7.1.1 on a Verizon DROID

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Bear with me; I'm not as tech savvy as most of you.

I'm running Android 7.1.1 on a Verizon DROID MAXX 2. 16GB of internal storage and a 64GB SanDisk SD card formatted as internal storage.

I'm getting the "Storage space running out" error repeatedly. When I check Device Storage under settings, it shows:

Internal shared storage
15.54 GB used of 16.00 GB (and has a triangular exclamation point message)

SanDisk SD card
5.69 GB used of 64.00 GB

What must I do to get the phone to use the additional storage space on the SD card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Set the SD card as the default write disk. Move media (pictures, music and video) files to the SD. Switch to lite versions of apps (fb, messenger, skype etc) if available. Avoid Microsoft Office apps (Word, Excel, OneNote etc) and use smaller alternatives like Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Keep etc). Uninstall unused apps. Clear the cache.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Stancestans for your help. I've added some qeustions and comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Set the SD card as the default write disk.
Where would I find this setting? When I click the SD card in Device Storage, the only options I get are
Rename
Eject
Format as portable
Migrate data

Quote:
Move media (pictures, music and video) files to the SD.
When I had this same SD card formatted as portable, I had that option at the app level for the gallery, the camera and perhaps other apps. However, now that it's formatted as internal, there is no longer a storage option at the app level and no option when installing apps.
Is this what Migrate Data does in the options pane above?

Quote:
Switch to lite versions of apps (fb, messenger, skype etc) if available. Avoid Microsoft Office apps (Word, Excel, OneNote etc) and use smaller alternatives like Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Keep etc).
I have a minimum of apps installed now. I don't use the FB app or messenger. I use only Openoffice; no MS products for me (if avoidable). My banking app, Firefox, Chrome, the app for my security system, Life360, etc. I've never known of a lite version of any of these, but I'll look for them now.

Quote:
Uninstall unused apps. Clear the cache.
This has been my only success in the past. I have a minimum of apps installed just to get this far. This has been going on for months and I find myself deleting 20-30 pictures at a time (pictures that, in many cases I need) and it only helps for a little while.

I would go back to formatted as portable, but it won't read an SD card for more than a month before I get the "No SD card installed" error. Turn the phone off and back on and it will recognize it for anywhere from 2 days to 5 minutes and then do it again. I wrestled with that for over a year, trying many different cards of many different speeds and brands, only to have it do the same to all cards. Once I formatted the card as internal memory, it has read it ever since, but won't use it. I'm really getting frustrated with this SD stuff, and I'm out of options from my own knowledge.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelchFire View Post
Where would I find this setting? When I click the SD card in Device Storage, the only options I get are
Rename
Eject
Format as portable
Migrate data
That setting, unfortunately, may or may not be available depending on how the manufacturer customised your phone's firmware (OS). On my device, the Default write disk section is available at the bottom of Settings > Storage screen. Maybe your phone's manual has details about storage options, so have a look at it.

Quote:
When I had this same SD card formatted as portable, I had that option at the app level for the gallery, the camera and perhaps other apps. However, now that it's formatted as internal, there is no longer a storage option at the app level and no option when installing apps.
Is this what Migrate Data does in the options pane above?
That could be it. There's no way of telling unless you select that option and see if it further explains its actions. It could mean migrating data to the card from device storage or vice versa. Again, consulting the user manual could help in this case.

Quote:
I have a minimum of apps installed now. I don't use the FB app or messenger. I use only Openoffice; no MS products for me (if avoidable). My banking app, Firefox, Chrome, the app for my security system, Life360, etc. I've never known of a lite version of any of these, but I'll look for them now.
What does storage analysis tell you about space usage? Is it the apps that are taking a lot of that space? Is it media files? In my experience, media and apps are usually the culprits. For media it is straight-forward. You can either move them to the card OR store them elsewhere, say on your computer, then delete the copies on your phone. Firefox's cache can get pretty big if you're not in the habit of clearing it, so check that as well. The same goes for Chrome depending on how much you use it. Have a look at the analysis and determine what's using up so much space.

Quote:
I would go back to formatted as portable, but it won't read an SD card for more than a month before I get the "No SD card installed" error. Turn the phone off and back on and it will recognize it for anywhere from 2 days to 5 minutes and then do it again. I wrestled with that for over a year, trying many different cards of many different speeds and brands, only to have it do the same to all cards. Once I formatted the card as internal memory, it has read it ever since, but won't use it. I'm really getting frustrated with this SD stuff, and I'm out of options from my own knowledge.

Thank you again.
Sounds to me like a hardware or firmware defect. Did you ever try to read those cards using a computer when they stopped getting read by the phone? Chances are the cards were still functional, but the phone was malfunctioning in that regard. If it's a firmware problem, you could always flash the official (stock) rom downloaded from the manufacturer's support website. A hardware fault, on the other hand, has no easy fix except a motherboard change or new device.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

From what I can ascertain that specific phone (DROID MAXX 2) is known to have issues with certain SD cards. Where the card/s would work fine in any other compatible device it would not format correctly, or give errors upon formatting, or just not work, full stop.

One user with your phone used tape right behind the contacts on the SD card making the fit more snug and it worked fine after that. It appears it's a hardware defect of sorts with some of the phones where proper contact from the lead insertion flange isn't contacting with the SD cards own male end therefore making it very slighly more snug fitting seems to work.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

OK, I finally stumbled on it. There is no documentation to tell me what to do and I always cringe when I click on something "just to see what happens", lest I lose something important.

But that's exactly what I needed to do. Under Settings/Storage/SD Card, the menu dots up top listed an option to "migrate data". I didn't know what that would do, but I clicked it anyway.

It cautioned me not to turn the phone off, so I plugged it in (my battery sux), and in about 15 minutes, it had transferred about 3GB of apps and all of my photos to the SD card. In the file manager app, it's now showing a total of 58.53GB of "internal storage" of which nearly 55GB is free.

Thanks for taking the time to help me along. I tried most of your suggestions above and gained a little speed and space, but until I migrated the data, it just wouldn't use the SD card. I'm all good now; thanks!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Awesome! Kindly mark this thread as solved. Cheers
Closed Thread