Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

1st Ed. Moto X Lollipop upgrade turned brick

This is a discussion on 1st Ed. Moto X Lollipop upgrade turned brick within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been avoiding the Lollipop update. Having Boost and a first edition Moto X, it has thankfully elluded my phone

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been avoiding the Lollipop update. Having Boost and a first edition Moto X, it has thankfully elluded my phone until just 2 weeks ago. Marshmallow is out now and I pray it keeps it's sticky hands the hell away from my phone for as long. Anyway, so I finally got sick of the "Update Software" popups and Thursday night, I decided to clear off 500mb of space and I reluctantly downloaded the new OS. I don't mind new and shiny. I quite like it, but as with XP, I had a smooth OS that ran wonderfully for me. I didn't have a reason to upgrade. I closed my eyes tightly and as if checking to see if the murderer was still alive, I pressed the install button.
It restarted and my Moto X never looked prettier. All sorts of apps wanted updated as well. No worries. It seemed to have some definite improvements. Could this be pretty and functional? I went to sleep and dreamed of Lollipops.
The next morning, I awoke and hit the button on the side of my phone to see what time it was. It flashed the time before it alerted me that it was shutting down. How odd, it was on the charger. Why the restart? It powered back up again and the stupid time wasting Moto X loader started. It got to the splashy thing and then jumped into a black screen. Ok, let wait to see what is up. 10 minutes later, black screen. I restarted. Bootload animation, black screen. Oh God No!
I hit up a tutorial that forced me to unlock the bootloader. Ok, no worries. I doubt my phone is under warranty anyway and it is Motorolla who is providing me the info.
I downloaded the files I was supposed to.
MotorollaDeviceManager_2.5.4.exe
android-studio-bundle-141.2343393-windows.exe
RSDLite_v6.1x.zip
MEGAsyncSetup.exe
ghost_sprint-user-4.4.4-KXZ21.12-L1.28-28-release-keys-cid9.xml.zip
adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130917.zip
android-tools.rar

I did as the tutorial said and
Code:
C:\Moto>mfastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.060s]
finished. total time: 0.061s

C:\Moto>mfastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [  0.226s]
finished. total time: 0.231s

C:\Moto>mfastboot flash boot boot.img
target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'boot' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [  0.388s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.564s]
finished. total time: 0.960s

C:\Moto>mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [  0.401s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.584s]
finished. total time: 0.993s

C:\Moto>mfastboot flash system system.img
Invalid sparse file format at header magi

C:\Moto>SparseConverter.exe /compress C:\Moto\system.img C:\ 256MB
Image size is not a multiple of 4096 bytes
The few tutorials I have come across that mentions this error talks about stuff like compiling the source and using linux and I'm just sitting here like "I'm just a dumb girl who can't afford a new phone and needs a super hero to help me." If someone can PLEASE give me some instructions that aren't written in Necronmiconus Latin and Hieroglyphics, I would really appreciate it. If someone could send me a zip of the files and have them just kinda work, that would be freaking awesome, but you know, whatever. Thank you!

Sierra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread