Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Wireles network not appearing

This is a discussion on Wireles network not appearing within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Our wireless network with a security password is not being recognised in the list of available wireless connections. I

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

Our wireless network with a security password is not being recognised in the list of available wireless connections. I can see it in the list of networks in the Control Panel but it is not being listed in the available network list . We can connect directly to the router but there is no security password and I would either
a. like to assign a password to the connection (NetGear) or
b. be able to connect to our original network listed in the control panel.

Thank you for your help.

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

I moved your post to the Networking Forum . .

When you say "We can connect directly to the router but there is no security password" what exactly do you mean.

Let's take a peek at your network:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Closed Thread