Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

WiFi drops out occasionally until restart

This is a discussion on WiFi drops out occasionally until restart within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, Haven't been around for a while but I got a problem cropping up on my Win 10 laptop

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

Haven't been around for a while but I got a problem cropping up on my Win 10 laptop and my wife is gonna need it to work from home starting tomorrow so I need a speedy recovery if you could help me out.

This has happened a handful of times over the last year and a bit and only requires a quick restart to fix so I haven't gave it much thought in the past.

Sometimes, either after startup or just randomly, the WiFi won't connect or will just drop out. Then when I look at the WiFi network icon on the lower right, it shows "Not Connected". I can click on it and it shows all the networks around me including mine. It'll show my network name, it's strength, says it's secured, and even the check box is ticked for it to "Connect Automatically" but when I click on it, it won't connect.

A quick restart will fix it but since my wife will be working remotely to her office, if it drops out she will lose all her work. Hoping to avoid that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Just wanted to add that my network still works on other devices when this happens and we have changed providers so have had 2 different modems, both of which have had the problem so I would believe it's a problem with my laptop of network card.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Lets say for testing sake you installed a USB adapter, and it works great with the same laptop with none of the issues you describe, you then have your answer. It could very well be that you need a driver update, or a specific driver. Rarely, but sometimes it's some piece of software that is messing with proper wifi signal negotiaiton - like a bluetooth driver, or security software. Depends on the laptop model, what BIOS you're running if there might have been any bug fixes with a new BIOS, and your wifi model (the actual laptop wifi hardware spec) and the driver you're currently using and again any other software that could potentially interfere with wifi that you're running on the laptop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

It is a little hard to test this problem because it can be temporarily fixed so easy. But I do have an old USB WiFi adapter. Just plugged it in and it works as good as the internal card. I will leave her with both options as well as try and get her close to an Ethernet cord so she could just plug in if the WiFi cuts out. Let's see if she can make it through a day without an issue. Hoping so.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

I solved this issue more than a few times by going in the router's settings and enabled WPA-TKIP. Most all new routers come set with WPA2-AES and what I do is enable the combination setting WAP/WPA2-TKIP/AES.

Go into Windows 10 network settings, click WiFi, manage known networks, forget yours and then reconnect normally using the WiFi connection utility near the clock.
Closed Thread