Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

using DSL modem as ap

This is a discussion on using DSL modem as ap within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I just replaced my dls modem with a newer one...i decided

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I just replaced my dls modem with a newer one...i decided i wanted to use the older 2wire 2700 as an AP...looked around found a few directions.

Basically its working...kinda. ha

On the old modem i changed the router lan ip to 192.168.0.5..the new modem is 192.168.0.1...same subnet.

I disabled the DHCP on the old modem, the new modem is DHCP.

New modem has wifi named newwifi
old modem has wifi named oldwifi

k. I connected the old modem to the new modem via a cross over cable.

K now the good stuff. When i connect my computer to the old modem via ethernet..it will resolve and give me internet access..i get an Ip address from the new modem..k. Great. Just wanted i wanted...HOWEVER

when i try to connect to the wifi of the oldmodem (whole reason i wanted an AP)..it keeps saying "identifying"...so its not resolving..i have tried to point the wifi card in my computer to ipv4 dns to the new modem...no go.

the only thing that enables me to get internet access via teh oldmodem wifi...its to statically assign an wifi addres.

192.168.0.1 <- the new modem, not old...
dns 192.168.0.5 <- old modem
dns 192.168.0.1 <- new modem..

so that is my prob..ulitmately i want to use this oldmodem as a wifi ap to extend my range..its working..for most part..any help i would appreciate.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

OH just a quick note....BOTH wireless are the same SSID...i simply used old and new to clarify on the post...as well as i have tried using two different SSIDs...same prob
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Zoom DSL modem resets/drops out with a unique effect
I will explain as much as I can. I looked at a previous thread on modem resets and replugging all the wiring including a different phone jack in another room. I did that but the problem persists and I have contacted the ISP for replacement of the Zoom modem and line filter. The problem...
loninappleton Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 6 01-13-2011 01:12 PM
Modem Problems!?
So i have a Modem Thompson Speed Touch ST546 V6 and a Wireless Buffalo Air Station which is connected to the modem. All have been working perfect, until i messed something up, i tried to put a password for the Buffalo Air Station but couldnt succeed and for some reason (i think it's because i...
Mamu18 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 01-11-2011 10:16 PM
Laptop not seeing Motorola Surfboard modem
I recently purchased and installed a Motorola Surfboard modem (5101U) so that I could save a few bucks with Comcast Internet. Everything is fine except that when it checks the connection between the computer and modem, the computer claims it can't see the modem and asks me to check the cables. The...
DaddysGirl_13 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 2 01-03-2011 11:56 AM
evdo modem problem with windows7 x64
i have no problem before, but recently my modem can't be used anymore at my pc. the modem is haier ce100 i can use it on my netbook with the same os. i can open the ROM inside the modem when i use my pc (on x64 os ), then install the modem driver, but it wont detect the cdma modem card
mice Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 1 01-02-2011 11:52 PM
Modem to Router interface
I have a Novatel MC760 USB modem for Virgin Moble and want to use my LinkSys router which has an Ethernet input. What would I need to go from the USB modem output to the Ethernet router input? Thank You!
ralphamale Other Hardware Support 3 01-01-2011 05:23 AM