Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Unstable WiFi connection after a router change, but only on my PC

This is a discussion on Unstable WiFi connection after a router change, but only on my PC within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In my house, there used to be two routers: one upstairs and the other downstairs. Around a week ago, my

Old 02-24-2020, 04:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

In my house, there used to be two routers: one upstairs and the other downstairs. Around a week ago, my dad got rid of these routers and bought us a new, faster one with a WiFi extender so we would have a good connection both upstairs and downstairs. It has been working very well for pretty much all of our devices (phones, consoles, the rest of my family’s computers, etc.). For those devices, there have been no issues, and our internet speeds are much faster now.

The problem is with my PC particularly. I never had any internet issues with it or any other major problems until this router change. Here are the issues I’m having:

Web browsing: When I open Google Chrome and try to load a page, it will fail to load and I will get this error: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. It will continue to not load for a few minutes, then it will load and work perfectly for a few minutes. After that, it will stop loading again for a few minutes, this time with the error: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET. It will keep cycling between working fine and the no internet error every few minutes, making it basically impossible to browse at all. I tried using Opera to see if it was just Chrome acting up, but the problem persisted.

Steam: When I tried to update my games on Steam, the update time will cycle between a few hours to a few days to over a year, and eventually the update is cancelled due to lack of internet connection. Pretty much all my online games are on there and need to be updated, so I can’t really test if I can connect with them. I was able to open Minecraft and play on a realm without any issues though.

Discord: When loading up the Discord app, it takes 5+ minutes to get past Checking for Updates and Starting. Once it loads, there doesn’t seem to be any issues.

During all these problems, it shows that my WiFi is still connected, no exclamation point next to it or anything. Occasionally, the signal strength drops slightly, but it was like that before and doesn’t seem to have any correlation with these issues from what I’ve seen. So obviously, I’m stumped. I’ve been researching for several days at this point, and I’ve tried a wide variety of solutions:

-Network reset

-Changing DNS server to both GoogleDNS and OpenDNS

-Updating my Network Adapter drivers

-Malwarebytes scan (no threats were found)

-A bunch of stuff in command prompt:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /all

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns

netsh winsock reset

-Another thing I tried was restarting the DNS client service. I tried to restart it from services.MSC first, but the option to restart was grayed out. So I tried to do it in command prompt instead. Typing “net stop dnscache” would result in “The requested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2191.” So I’m not sure how to fix this.

I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me solve this. This is a list of my computer parts in case it might be a hardware issue (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4CFDQq), though I doubt it because I didn’t have any problems until the router change. Feel free to ask for any more details.
KingMooshroom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I know this might sound strange as the first recommendation, but see what happens if you disconnect (hard wired) the extender. Also, if possible try to use an Ethernet connection between your PC and the extender. This might help isolate the problem. Finally, is it really an extender or a repeater? There is a difference and bandwidth might be the problem.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

You can use Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark to see which DNS is the fastest for your location. https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Also, try rebooting the router, repeater/extender and your computer.
xrobwx71 is offline   Reply With Quote