Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Unidentified Network, No internet access

This is a discussion on Unidentified Network, No internet access within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For a year or two now I have settled with just using a wireless connection however recently I have attempted

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

For a year or two now I have settled with just using a wireless connection however recently I have attempted using an ethernet cable to connect locally to my home connection, however it doesn't seem to be working properly. I have very little knowledge regarding networking and such but I feel as if I have done everything correctly.
(I'm running windows 7)
The error I get is that the connection displays as "Unidentified network, No internet access" I have used various different tutorials online regarding this issue but nothing seems to be working so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me.

imgur: the simple image sharer
This is an image of the error
And this is what i get when I diagnose it, also the Ipv4 settings and such are set to automatic.

I know for a fact that it isn't the cable being faulty because I have plugged it into a laptop of mine and it functioned perfectly and instantly connected to the network with no problem whatsoever. Any suggestions would be much appreciated by anyone who can help.
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Hi Ben and welcome to the Forum

It's always helpful if we at least have the make/model of your PC or laptop so we can advise you better.

With that said, many computers can not run WIRELESS NETWORKING and WIRED NETWORKING together at the same time. This is a well-known fact about computers. Simply go into your BIOS or CMOS setup program and disable your built-in wireless or WLAN, reboot and you should then connect to the Internet. If you don't know how to do this, you can go the website of the maker of your PC or laptop and download the User Manual for free; this is usually an Adobe PDF document so you will need to have Adobe Reader version 10 or later on the computer you want to view the User Manual on.

The other way to do this, is to look for a small slide switch on the front or side edge of your laptop (if you have a laptop, I'm having to guess here), and disable the wireless WLAN that way. Windows on your laptop will then be free to use your wired ethernet to connect to the Internet. Many newer laptops did away with the wireless switch altogether and you'll have to use a keystroke combination from the laptop keyboard to disable/enable wireless; such as <Windows logo key+F7> or <Fn key>+<F7> for example.

Run wired or wireless; not both at the same time, and your problem will be solved!

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

I appreciate the response! sorry I didn't mention the majority of the details, I'm using an Acer Aspire M3910 desktop and also I have tried disabling the wireless but it makes no difference the my connection it just remains as Unidentified network

Either that or i disabled my wireless the wrong way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi did you try reinstalling the lan driver Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

After doing so I still recieve the same error
Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi lets start with following the instructions here https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ben-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-87-FC-F3-1E-D1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.7.139(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{D86A6278-E938-4EFA-B83D-C9C23BF346FA}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Windows\system32>

ISP - Virgin Media

Router - Virgin SuperHub

Antivirus - Microsoft Security Essentials
Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

ipconfig looks ok . . can you plug into a different port on the router? Has any other pc ever worked when plugged into this router?

Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have done both and yes I have even plugged this ethernet cable into my laptop and it works perfectly fine but on this PC i get this error over and over but nothing I find online seems to work
Old 11-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

At this point I would buy another network card and try it . . they are inexpensive

Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you can access the Internet via wifi, check Windows Updates as it appears that you don't have Windows 7 SP1 installed -
Quote:
Originally Posted by benr1218 View Post
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Windows 7 SP1 = 6.1.7601

Check for Windows Updates via Control Panel or - www.update.microsoft.com

Windows 7 SP1 - https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...service-pack-1

If no Internet access, copy the SP1 download to a USB stick then to the laptop, then execute it.

I don't know whether lack of Windows Updates + SP1 will fix the issue here, but it sure is not helping as Microsoft has updated Windows 7 OS networking related drivers in & since SP1 was released.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

In Post #7 your Ethernet interface is disabled or not working or both. You are getting an auto-DHCP default-loopback address, which means your Ethernet wired adapter inside the laptop is failing to obtain an address from Windows.

Your screenshot still shows the wireless connection ENABLED; remember what I said earlier about having BOTH wired and wireless connections enabled simultaneously?! That's a NO-NO! You must find a way to disable that wireless connection in order to properly troubleshoot the wired connection.

If you cannot do this, then most likely your Motherboard has failed and must be replaced.

More likely it's simply a virus that got into your laptop that scrambled your Windows networking files.

Also, your Windows7, if that's what came installed on the laptop from the factory should be perfectly capable of running a wired Ethernet connection WITHOUT the SP1 (Service Pack 1). I say this since if Windows7 was installed out of the box without SP1, and you got wired Ethernet connectivity to the Internet it WAS clearly working at one time.

The 3 most likely possibilites are:

1) Virus attacked your windows networking files and disabled your wired ethernet
2) The Wired Ethernet chip on the laptop Motherboard has failed and must be replaced
3) Your hard drive is failing or is faulty and is causing the wired ethernet to fail

Normally a SYSTEM RESTORE or a WINDOWS REPAIR or a WINDOWS REFRESH will fill this type of problem. I suggest you try each of these in order after FIRST MAKING A COMPLETE BACKUP OF ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA FILES TO EXTERNAL MEDIA ON YOUR LAPTOP!!

If this fails to get the wired Ethernet working; you will have to do a WINDOWS REINSTALLATION which includes the formatting of your hard drive *erases all data*. REINSTALLATION of Windows if it does still not resolve the problem means that the Ethernet chip on your Motherboard has failed and that's not repairable. Or possibly your hard drive has failed; which is repairable at a much lower cost. Motherboard repair is $175-$400 in the US; 2-3 times that outside of US. Hard drive replacement is $100-$160 in US.

You should also download the free MEMTEST RAM checker program from the link in my signature below and test your RAM one stick at a time for a minimum of 8 passes. If MEMTEST reports any errors 1 of your RAM sticks has failed and must be replaced. Rerun Memtest and continue replacing faulty RAM sticks. Finally, re-run MEMTEST once any and all faulty sticks have been replaced for a minimum of 8 passes; this will take 12-24 hrs. if you have 4GB of RAM or more.

If you can't wrap your head around all of this testing, I suggest you take it to your local Computer Pro and pay them to diagnose and repair the problem. This type of problem can take 2-3 weeks to resolve.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>>
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Registered Member

I appreciate the help everyone I'll work on all of these and see if I get any results, thanks all :)
Closed Thread