Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Two IP addresses with a dynamic IP address

This is a discussion on Two IP addresses with a dynamic IP address within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So me and my fiance are both going to be working from home for an online program and the program

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Corday

Old 02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

So me and my fiance are both going to be working from home for an online program and the program guidelines state that two people can't be working on the same IP address. We both used to live at our own places and just recently moved in, but have been working with this company for awhile. I talked with my internet service provider and they stated I cannot purchase two ip addresses because they use dynamic ip addresses. Is there any way I can make sure me and my fiance have different external ip addresses so they do not kick us off the program while we are working because they do log ip addresses and we both use this money for our lives and need these jobs. Any help would be greatly appreciated or advice!
teke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Not sure they'd accept this, but a VPN would hide IP address.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah the guidelines say you cannot use any VPNs, proxy settings, or anything like that. Thank you!
teke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

https://tunecomp.net/windows-10-multiple-ip-addresses/
Not sure what's happening with this and ipv6.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You can't change the web IP address that is provided to you. If VPN is a no-go, the easy options I see are getting a strong data plan for your phone and tether your phone and perform your activity, or get a second internet connection from a different internet provider.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I second getting another Internet connection from a different provider. A mobile data plan might work if the jobs do not require a lot of bandwidth.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #7
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Depending on location, it doesn't even need to be a different provider. But it would be a separate account.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Maybe speak to someone else at your ISP. I pay an extra $10 per month for 2 static external IP address. My Point of Sale server has to have a separate static IP from my office network. Basically what JimE is suggesting. If not, I'd look into another ISP if available.
xrobwx71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

It's possible OP knew our solutions but doesn't want the extra charge. Two can't always live cheaper than one.
Stancestans and xrobwx71 like this.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #10
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Depending on location, it doesn't even need to be a different provider. But it would be a separate account.
The recommendation for different ISPs, was to avoid any subnet issues Jim...

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Could he get a second phone line with a different phone number and get another modem? But he might have to get another computer also.
alwjoplinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

Son had similar problem solution was to split the incoming line with each new line going to a different modem. Two modems two ip address
prof-ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof-ret View Post
Son had similar problem solution was to split the incoming line with each new line going to a different modem. Two modems two ip address
Two ISP-side IP addresses (assigned to modems) are not necessarily two different public IP addresses.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

each modem (or the device the isp uses as an interface to its network) has to have its own separate ip address, they cannot share an ip address. It would be no different than living in two different apartments within the same building each having an internet connection. What the ISP would charge would most likely before two services since that it what it amounts to.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
each modem (or the device the isp uses as an interface to its network) has to have its own separate ip address, they cannot share an ip address. It would be no different than living in two different apartments within the same building each having an internet connection. What the ISP would charge would most likely before two services since that it what it amounts to.
Yes, each modem will have its own ip address, but they are private ip addresses served within the ISP's private network(s). The issue here is not the private address that each modem gets, but the public ip address that is part of/or facing the Internet. There are few public ip addresses and it's not possible to assign each client's modem one of those. The solution is the ISP will have multiple clients share the same public ip address, while each of their modems has a unique private address within the ISP's network. It is this shared public ip that is the problem, and getting a second modem for use with the same ISP is not a solution.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:05 AM   #16
Registered Member

His question was to have two different ip addresses not two different PUBLIC Network addresses meaning different networks like 11.xxx.xxx and 12.xxx.xxx. To have that he would be required to have two different ISP's which will be unlikely to be available in his area. His problem is the ISP that he is using is a DHCP covering the their entire network and not setting aside addresses for static assignment. Still even with static assignment he would need the two modem setup. That setup will give him what he needs which is exactly what he and his girlfriend had when they lived in two different locations.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #17
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I doubt they are using public IP's to filter traffic. They would be greatly limiting their service.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regardless of what the ISP uses, Teke33 needs two interface devices (modems) to connect to the ISP network, that will give him the two different ip addresses he needs. It will also require that the ISP run a second line to his house or split the existing line.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
His question was to have two different ip addresses not two different PUBLIC Network addresses meaning different networks like 11.xxx.xxx and 12.xxx.xxx. To have that he would be required to have two different ISP's which will be unlikely to be available in his area. His problem is the ISP that he is using is a DHCP covering the their entire network and not setting aside addresses for static assignment. Still even with static assignment he would need the two modem setup. That setup will give him what he needs which is exactly what he and his girlfriend had when they lived in two different locations.
Two EXTERNAL addresses was the question. No matter, the ISP isn't selling static addresses, so no dice there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I doubt they are using public IP's to filter traffic. They would be greatly limiting their service.
Yes they would, and it's a stingy approach by such a company, yet not hard to imagine, considering the ever rising number of job seekers vs the limited available opportunities. No matter, we have little to go with here regarding the company's policy.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My first suggestion would be to talk to the company/program/employer and explain the circumstances to see if something can be worked out.
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote