Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Sudden VPN Issue - Can't authenticate to VPN (NordVPN) when connected to Home Wi-Fi

This is a discussion on Sudden VPN Issue - Can't authenticate to VPN (NordVPN) when connected to Home Wi-Fi within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. First of all, I hope this is the correct forum. Also, I apologize for the length of this post.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. First of all, I hope this is the correct forum. Also, I apologize for the length of this post. I wanted to be precise and provide all relevant details.

I have been using the NordVPN Chrome extension on my Chromebook for some time with mostly reliable results. Beginning yesterday, when I click the "Quick Connect" to connect to a VPN server, I immediately got the following error: "The proxy extension has encountered an error or couldn't connect to the Internet". My internet connection without NordVPN is fine. I have removed and reinstalled the extension multiple times. I disabled ALL other Chrome extensions and retried to connect. I have reset my Chrome browser settings. I have restarted the Chromebook multiple times. I tried a different Wi-Fi network (my Guest network). Nothing fixed the issue. I contacted NordVPN support last night and was told to download and install the Android app from the Google Play store. I did that, but I couldnít login to the app. It said "Something went wrong. Sign in failed.". The username and password are correct as I can sign in to both the Chrome extension and the NordVPN web site with no problems.

So, to summarize, the issues are:
1. The Chrome browser extension will allow me to sign in, but won't connect to anything
2. The Android app will not allow me to sign in.
 I am also running NordVPN on a couple of Macs, an iPhone, and an iPad with no issues. As I said, no changes were made on my end prior to this happening, so it seems to have come out of the blue.

Follow-up: I wanted to see if I had the login issue on one of my Macs. I logged out of my Macbook's NordVPN App. I was not able to log back in. So now I canít log in on two different OSís. (Oddly, as stated above, I can sign in via the Chrome browser extension for some reason. It just fails when trying to connect to any server).

So now itís pointing to the problem being with my home Verizon Fios network. To test, I disconnected my Mac from my Wi-Fi home network and connected to my iPhone hotspot. I was able to log in immediately. I did the same thing on the Chromebook and voila! Able to authenticate immediately there as well. I then switched back to my home Wi-Fi network. The logins stuck, and the apps behaved correctly. I was able to connect and disconnect from the VPN at will. So it seems to be an issue with not being able to authenticate via Verizon Fios Wi-Fi. What could this be? It was working fine and Iíve made no changes to my network.

I've been using NordVPN for years and have signed in/out of the apps hundreds of times without issue. I'm not a networking expert by any means. That's why I'm asking for help. I again apologize for the long post. I appreciate anyone who is willing to think about this and provide guidance.
SteelCityB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

You've already isolated the cause of the issue, at this point talking to Verizon should be the first step to see if they have setup any restrictions for VPN.

tristar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks. I will do that. Dealing with Verizon's tech support can be difficult, but I will make the call. I appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Yep, I can understand, and this convo with them is going to be tricky, best of luck..

tristar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

A follow-up: After speaking with Verizon and explaining my issue, the rep was unable to pinpoint a cause. He mentioned that it could have been a routing issue on the Verizon side.

I signed out of both the Chromebook and Mac NordVPN apps. Magically, when signing back in, the problem I was having was no longer there on either machine. The Chrome browser extension issue was also not present. Hmmm...

Maybe just a coincidence, but either way, my issues are, (for the moment), resolved.

Thanks again for your help!