Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

split ethernet cable, one to comp, one to wifi router

This is a discussion on split ethernet cable, one to comp, one to wifi router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have only one computer right now. Had two, and got very weak signal to laptop (since discarded) upstairs from

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have only one computer right now. Had two, and got very weak signal to laptop (since discarded) upstairs from Linksys g 54Mbits downstairs at main desktop computer desktop.

I have tried three different kinds of 54Mbits wifi routers, all with no success.
I'm going to get my wife a new wifi laptop for Christmas, and she wants to be able to use it all over the house.

The 54Mbits will cover the downstairs, but, based on previous efforts, I am thinking of putting my modem in the garage, where the cable enters my house, and using a splitter on the cable coming out of the modem to make two IN cables, using one cable for my comp and a 54Mbits router (for downstairs coverage), and putting a second wifi router on the end of the upstairs cable, to cover the upstairs rooms.

My house has cable outlets in every room, so I won't have to do any wiring.

I plan to leave the routers on all the time (at this time) subject to how much of a bandwidth drop they cause. I have a 100 Mbps connection, and I play games, so I'd like to retain as much bandwidth as possible. I assume the two "on" wifi routers will pull zero bandwidth as long as the laptop is off. (??)

Or maybe I should just try an "n" wifi router, since they get twice the distance, and forget the cable splitter idea.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Roger33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi Roger,
I own a 802.11n wireless router and I get plenty good signal throughout the 3 stories of my home (one layer concrete). Look into Netgear. They have a wireless repeater option on some of their models. In that case you can just bridge the connection throught your house. That will of course cost two routers.

Best of luck.
-Josh
Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

The best option is setup a new "n" router. 2nd option would be have a wireless access point locate near your WiFi boundary and extend the WiFi range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Splitting the cable can be very problematic . . can lead to interference and crosstalk between the wires.

If you have ethernet wireing in every room, you could put a Wireless Access Point somewhere that would have coverage for her. Most N routers and WAP's will have greater range then the G or B ones
Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Gents, thanks very much for the info. "n" router coming up.

Roger33
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let us know how it works out
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

Will do. Probably in mid-January. Many thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

And make sure your wifi computer/laptop are "wireless N" capable as well.
Closed Thread