Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Smart switch drops connection when the sun goes down

This is a discussion on Smart switch drops connection when the sun goes down within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This has been a real head scratcher for me. I have one smart switch for my living room light and

Old 03-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

This has been a real head scratcher for me. I have one smart switch for my living room light and my goal is to be able to control it with an Echo. My first switch was a straight on/off switch which would sometimes work for weeks with no issues then disconnect for good. Reinitiating would restore the connection but inconsistently time wise. I then replaced it with a dimmer switch. This one has settled into this behavior of disconnecting when the sun goes down and then reconnecting on its own the next day. The switch is less than 20 feet from my TP-Link dual band router and the Echo is about the same. My phone app also shows that it is offline at the same times. Anyone have any clues or what to check?
Radarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

So the switch is connected via wifi? Are you losing all wifi overnight or just the switch?

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for taking me seriously. I know it sounds like SiFy. Yes, it is connected via Wifi. I have no Nest or the like. I only lose that device. I can use my phone and tablet in WiFi mode when it fails and if I use the APP Fling for Android, it shows the device is offline. Then the next morning I can command it using the Echo. I live in the middle of 5 acres so I have no interference from neighbors. I also have WiFi cameras and a doorbell camera that do not lose connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
So the switch is connected via wifi? Are you losing all wifi overnight or just the switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

My first thought would simply be a faulty device.

Interference could still be an issue as there is a lot of devices which share those frequencies. The "old" wireless phones which you use for a landline, for example. Interference, however, would typically result in sporadic issues, not work fine for 12 hours and then die for 12 hours.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a master's in EE and I have considered those things but as you specify they would be randomly sporadic. It is a running joke now with my wife and I when evening falls and Alexa can't find the switch. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

Not sure about Smart switch operations or your make/model but this is what i would consider:
Does your switch have a programable interface that allows for time on/off schedule? Same with the router I know that the router shouldn't automatically allow/deny but connecting switch could have a default.
Honeywell does have an off/on sunset/sunrise switch.
prof-ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Just an update. For the past few days Alexa has worked as she should to operate the light at night. I thought I may have discovered something when using the WiFi analyzer on my tablet there is second 2.4 GHz network that pops up with equal and some time greater amplitude than the router which is on channels 3 thru 7. The unknown network is narrower and centered on channel 3. It also, turns on and then at unspecified times just drops out for various amounts of time. Same frequency 2422 MHz as the other. It does not display an SSID either but all of the other address data is there. Very odd.https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...es/new/huh.gif