Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Old fiber switches and media converters

This is a discussion on Old fiber switches and media converters within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have some old fiber stuff around and decided to put it to use to get gigabit over a long

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have some old fiber stuff around and decided to put it to use to get gigabit over a long run, replacing an unreliable wireless setup.

I have 2 fiber to copper media converters, Trendnet TFC-1000MSC. I was simply going to use those to extend the copper at both ends between modern gigabit copper switches, but then I decided to add a fiber switch at both ends as well to put some old fiber NICs to use.

The fiber switches are D-Link DGS-3204. I've read the manuals for both the media converters as well as the switches and they don't specifically address uplinking in detail. The DGS-3204 manual talks about connecting to another switch and has a diagram that simply shows the cable going from the switch to another switch. No mention of a specific uplink port, no technical details. The DGS-3204 also has a management interface, serial and web, and in those I haven't found anything addressing uplinks.

So I began testing by basically assuming that the ports on the converter and the switch would automatically uplink, as they would on modern copper gigabit switches. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work. I setup as follows:
-PC with Fiber NIC connected to a port on DGS
-Other DGS port connected to converter
-converter to Trendnet TEG-S50G switch via copper

All the link lights on all devices light up, and the PC shows an active link, but the network connection doesn't actually work. I tried all the ports on the DGS and TEG switch, crossover copper cables, and even tried switching the TX/RX on one end of the fiber and tried that one at a time for both ends. Nothing works.

I tested the converter by itself, going PC => converter => copper switch and that works. I also tested the 2 converters connected to each other, also works.

I'm guessing the converter's fiber port cannot be uplinked to a switch and only works when connected to either the NIC or another converter. I thought that reversing TX/RX might solve that but it didn't. The fact that it works with the NIC and the other converter should indicate something, but my knowledge is too limited to draw a conclusion from that. The other possibility is that the DGS doesn't support uplink, but that seems unlikely as the manual clearly shows it being able to connect to another switch, unless they intend the other switch to be a dedicated uplink port.

Anyway, sorry for such a long message. I just wanted to ask others before abandoning the idea, as well as possibly get an explanation of why it doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread