Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

No Internet access

This is a discussion on No Internet access within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Suddenly three days ago my samsung nc110 netbook stopped loading webpages. It's connected to the router via wifi just fine.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Suddenly three days ago my samsung nc110 netbook stopped loading webpages. It's connected to the router via wifi just fine.

It's just this machine, my iPhone and my partner's phone connects ok and the Internet works fine on those

I've done everything I can think of

I've reset the router countless times

Restarted computer countless times

I've tried system restore to a previous point

Disabled firewall

Reset winsock

I don't know what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Have a read through these pre-posting requirements and which AV are you using ?

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html

There have been reported problems with McAfee and uninstalling has resolved the connectivity issue.

If you are using McAfee then these are the instructions for fully uninstalling it How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR) and this is the download link for the MCPR tool which is best if run twice https://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13512057591748
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi thanks for replying

I don't use mcafee

I'm not sure what that link is you posted, but please do bare in mind that whatever it is , I currently have no way of clicking it on a computer that can't access the net (I'm posting this reply using my iPhone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Wireless orange connection

Router is orange own brand

No av activated

Windows 7 starter

Latest ie (is that 9? I think it could be)
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Netgear n150
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

The links were for uninstalling McAfee perhaps to save a bit of time should you have had it.

In your opening post you said that you had disabled the firewall - is this Windows firewall or the AV aspect of your AV.

Sudden loss of connectivity can be caused by a buggy AV and uninstalling usually does the job there.

In Device Manager/Network Adapters - if there are any yellow alerts then without any means to download drivers, you're going to have problems with not being able to download drivers.

Does it connect when wired ?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

It was windows firewall, and I disabled it after the problem, in the hope that it would remedy it
I can't test if it works wired as I have no cable.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the help but I've already done a system restore, twice, and performed a recovery. It made no difference .
Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
TSF Emeritus

"No av activated"

You do understand this is a problem? You are most likely infected which is what has caused your issue. Hopefully you don't do online banking from this pc.

Since you have done a restore this should have taken care of any infection.

You need to go get a cable and connect directly to the router. I suspect your wifi card died but we need to test connectivity with a cable before coming to that conclusion.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Edited.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

That's a pretty extreme prognosis,

Are you confident in that?
It sounds rather drastic.
I don't have an AV active (mainly because one of the price of advice I got at the start ofbthisnproblem was to deactivated all AV and firewalls in case it wa those causing the problem)if I was infected, I'd assume that malware bytes would have alerted me

Don't cause a panic ! Lol do you think this issue ha been cases by an infection? I've not herd of that sort of infection before
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Hi Tom, I don't have a cable to hand so i cant check. I'll try to obtain one from town over the weekend if I can't solve the issue any other way
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

An infection can cause that problem but the factory reset would have cleared that.

Are there any yellow alerts against the Network Adapters.

Can't really progress much until it's determined if this is just a wireless problem or wired as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
TSF Emeritus

You did a complete restore to factory settings right? This would mean you are back to a OS that is when you first got it.

If the wifi isn't working under these conditions it is reasonable to think you have had a hardware failure.

One thing you can check is go into device manager and under networking see if the wifi card is listed. Is it?

And sorry to ask such a dumb question but does this notebook have a wife on/off button/switch like so many do? Perhaps its in the off position?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

No yellow alerts

The router works fine, I can connect to it perfectly with other devices

I guess the next test to do is to try connecting with this computer to another wifi to see if that works
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

Lol it's not a dumb question. Lol

Wifi switch is on

Ps ill check device manager in a bit, the infection scare concerned me and I'm now doing a scan. I don't wanna interrupt it.

What set of errors or non-errors should I be looking for in device manager? And how easy is it to replace the wifi card? Does that usually solve the issue?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
TSF Emeritus

You should download xirrus wifi inspector from another computer and transfer it via usb stick to the netbook. Run the install. If it sees other wifi networks the card is working.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

I can see about four other wifi networks already. I just can't access them as they require a password

Ooh the virus scan just completed and I'm clean

Off to check device manager now....

I dunno what I'm looking for. What would my wifi card be called? There's one called Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 130

Could that be it?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
You should download xirrus wifi inspector from another computer and transfer it via usb stick to the netbook. Run the install. If it sees other wifi networks the card is working.
That can be done with this cmd from the cmd prompt and if the SSID shows up, then it will be okay.

netsh wlan show network mode=bssid

Can you let us know if your named SSID shows up, channel number used, its % and those in relation to any other SSIDs.

EDIT...Yes, that will be the wireless adapter.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
TSF Emeritus

If the wifi card is not detected by windows there will be no entry for it in device manager. if there is a driver issue there will be a yellow exclaimation point next to it.

Since this is a notebook you would have to inquire of the manufacture what the cost would be. Usually the mainboard is replaced since its built into it. Alternatively you can buy a usb wifi dongle and use it instead.
Closed Thread