Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

New home network

This is a discussion on New home network within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I am currently in the middle of building a house and now is the time to start thinking

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred Garvin
  • 1 Post By Stelcom66

Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of building a house and now is the time to start thinking about networking and such as the house has been framed however electrical and drywall, etc is not up and wont be for a while..

After thinking and planning it out and trying to somewhat future proof the house, I've come up with the following.. I came up with some of this by using things I already have such as the two 5 port switches and extra router used as an AP. I also have two MC200CM fiber boxes that I could use at some point as well as 200 ft of multimode fiber cable.

I will be buying bulk CAT6 cable and wiring the coax and network cable myself. My real question is this-Are there any potential issues or perhaps upgrades that anyone can see thus far?

Yellow cable is Coax
Grey is Cat6
Blue is BNC/Power for cameras.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled Document.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	324756  
Jtsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Wiring looks fine unless you'll be moving up to 10 gig. If moving to 10 gig then you'll need to look at cat 6a and cat 7. Then you'll need to change out all your box's and switches for 10 gig hardware and then 10 gig NIC cards for all PC's.

The biggest factor will be cost

Old 11-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Looks good. If you really want to future proof consider running it all in conduit. As new standards evolve you can then pull new cable or conduit as needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
DaveMcKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

If you are building your own house and the drywall isn't up yet, I'd reconsider your layout. It will never get easier than it is now to wire it the right way. Everything should be home runs from your endpoints back to ONE switch and backboard at your demarc. Wherever you want one network jack, run 2 lines. Anyplace you might ever put a TV - run coax. Leave yourself access points where you can in the attic, closets, etc. Take lots of pictures before the walls get closed up. Get rid of the access points and range extenders and opt for equipment that's capable of creating a mesh network. I've run miles of cable and that's how I'd do it.

Do you really want to use CCTV? It's low resolution and nearly obsolete when compared to IP cameras. Everyone figures that out the first time they need to supply camera footage to a LEO or insurance agency.

You might benefit from hiring a local network consultant (keep away from electricians) who can help you with the layout and test your wiring before the drywall goes up.
Deejay100six likes this.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

This is why I posted this here, thanks for the info everyone.

As far as bandwidth, gigabit will be fine for the foreseeable future. To put it in perspective, at my current home, the internet bandwidth is 10Mb down and 1.5 up. At the new house that provider will have 50 down 10 up, so a gigabit LAN network at home will be plenty for my use. But the Cat6 will give some wiggle room in the future for upgrades.

These cables will be home run to the closet, I know one switch is probably preferred and I will upgrade to one large switch when I can and get settled down.

Photos have already been taken of the interior without drywall.

There are technically two pulls to each room, including the pulls I have for the smart TVs. I’m pulling one network cable to each coax box for TVs and one cable to a jack in each bedroom(these will probably never be used but you never know, and they’ll be near the bed locations). I will also pull one to the kitchen and a couple extra to the living room and entertainment center. Three to the office.

Cameras. I am assuming you mean a POE system? Looking into those now.

Luckily my builder has no problem with me doing my own thing whilst the house is being built.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Jtsou, yes, POE cameras are so much easier because you don't need siamese cable, the resolution is much better and you can utilize options like PTZ if you need it.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'm sort of fond of Fred Garvin's post only I'd go a bit further. Looking toward the future and IOT (internet of things). To that end, with IOT in mind, I'd be putting at least a quad box every 10' around all rooms, going back to a main patch panel & patch into your switches (POE & non-POE) what you want to use. Additionally I'd be cable planning for POE LED lighting throughout the house, sound throughout, POTS support (alarm systems & phone), door/window alarm sensors, internal IP cameras, microphones, HVAC controls, appliance controls, and coax for TV Like he said, do it now before the drywall goes up. Also go for the newest cable standard you can afford. If you don't take advantage of it now, it can be a selling point down the road.

I'm definitely not a fan of wifi or bluetooth being a planned solution for anything, I think of it as just a patch where a cable isn't available. Call me a security nut.

P.S. Your drywall guy may end up hating you for all the additional boxes you'll be adding.
traincompbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

As noted conduit would be great to have in place for future cable runs. If that's not an option, I'd at least leave several pull strings in place. I did that years ago when I ran a 25 pair telecom cable up the vent pipe shaft to the second floor. No home internet back then. I did use the pull string when I pulled a Cat5 cable after installing a home network and left another in place. That saved some time.
Deejay100six likes this.
Stelcom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I’ve bought a 500FT spoil of cat6 and a bunch of keystones and wall plates. I plan on having 12 lan ports in the wall at my demarc point connected to a switch(i know....I could use a patch panel but that’s just an extra cost at this point and this will do the same thing). The other ends will go to smart TVs, Xbox, Network cameras and I will place a lan connection in certain areas of the home that I see fit to be able to connect using a wired connection on a laptop if necessary. I’m gonna use my cable modem/router combo and I’ve been researching the unifi APs and will place two of these on each end of the house. We don’t use traditional telephone and rely on our cell phones for now, but I am wiring phone jacks as well.

Luckily, the only things that I need to connect to my network are the things mentioned above and a couple cell phones and a couple laptops.

I’m gonna run pull cable with my current pulls of cat6 for future use, but no conduit. The layout of the house makes it easy to pull cables from the attic.. no fire blocks, etc. Exterior walls with insulation could be a bit more difficult but with a wire fish tool that’s not much of a problem either.

Thanks for the tips
Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

Keep in mind, you can always convert any unused CAT5/6 line to a traditional telephone - RJ11/12. If you're not using a patch panel, it's always good to leave a service loop in the attic above your demarc.

I've had good luck with Netgear's Orbi system and love the idea that it has an ethernet backhaul. I hate Ubiquiti stuff and doubt I'd ever buy anything of theirs again. Just my personal opinion, use what you like. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well the network is prewired into the walls, drywall is going up starting Friday.

I ended up using two 12 port patch panels to make everything a little easier and neater. Everything is home run to a closet and will be attached to a switch. In all I ran 14 lan ports around the house, another will be sent to the attic for an AP when the time comes.

I’ve prewired my entertainment center as well, with a chase in the wall up to my TV, everything should end up looking neat.

I have a surround sound system that I currently use and will be putting in my new house. The front left right and center will be on the entertainment center shelf with the Xbox, cable box, etc. the rear speaker leads are presided and run up to the attic and looped for now until drywall goes up. These will be ceiling speakers.

Does any one have any ideas for a sound system throughout the house?

I’m putting a couple outdoor speakers outside over the back porch. I’ve looked into systems such as the MC66 that allows for zone control with 6 zones and keypads, but I don’t see myself needing 6 zones. And the price is pretty hefty.

Any ideas on a home sound system?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Edit:

I’m not against using raspberry Pi setups and such, I’ve been looking into that also.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have this receiver for my living room..

Is there a way to run audio from this to another amp and then to the speakers around the house using the wall mounted volume knobs? This receiver has built in bluetooth.

The issue I see is that the sound coming out of the receiver to an amp is going to be controlled by the volume setting already...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3762488D-469C-42E3-9FA8-9C628EE056C7_1578530771416.png
Views:	14
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	324968  
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #14

Sorry, I missed the updates to this thread. As far as the receiver, you need a receiver with pre-amp out connections to run it to another amp. And you always keep your amp close to the tuner to minimize signal loss.