Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Need Fiber Optic Networking Advice

This is a discussion on Need Fiber Optic Networking Advice within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am a Security Officer at a residential community. I have a lot of networking experience, but I have

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I am a Security Officer at a residential community. I have a lot of networking experience, but I have no fiber-optic networking experience.

Our community needs to set up a network between two gates which spans the distance of about 4,000 feet. What we will use the network for primarily is to one connect it to a dsl line so our security shack can monitor the DVR and NVR. Also we will use it for future upgrades like video call boxes, and gate updates via the network.

My questions are:

What type of Fiber would I need to purchase? My goal/our goal is to be able to use about 16 cameras transferring data on the network to the NVR/DVR. So basically around 16 connections. The wire will be run underground in a trench.

Second, how many optical wires in the wire will be needed? Multi-mode?

Third, which types of devices will I need to connect it all together?

Lastly, Are there any other alternatives? I've heard of LAN extenders but simply do not believe they would be able to transfer the data we need, nor will it be good for future upgrades.

RM-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
TSF Emeritus

The company you contract with to lay the fiber will take care of the termination so you won't need any equipment. Do request a certification test. This is where the contractor produces a report concerning the cable run.

You would install a bundle of multimode [12 strands min] if going to do this. Lay a couple of conduits with multiple pull strings since you have to trench anyway.

I would not consider 10/100 but only gig and above. 10/100 fiber is obsolete. Now its 1000/10,000 and above. You will need swithes at each end with gig/10k modules in them. These are also your media converters [fiber to wired].

Hope this helps
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Small Business Networking Advice
Hey everybody, So let me explain my situation. I'm the son of a small business owner which manufactures and ships product. We take orders via website, phone and mail. Thus, we use Dydacomp's M.O.M or Multichannel Order Manager. We use an in-house server to host the MOM database & company website...
Kyle.eskimio Networking Support 11 01-09-2012 01:31 PM
Networking Staff Rules and Policies
Dear Networking Team, We do appreciate all your voluntarily efforts, however there are policies that we have to obey. First off…..You are expected to know the Forum Rules. Thank You for reading and understanding the TSF Rules. Be Respectful: Respect your own Team-Mate, no flaming on any...
2xg Networking Team 0 08-25-2011 02:49 PM
Looking to get better quality on my scans
I have HP C4180 All-in-one (print, scan, copy) Right now I'm trying to scan a yearbook that I never got myself, back when I was in middle school. I want to scan the whole thing and return it to the owner, who has not had it in months. Only thing is, I don't want the quality to be bad as I probably...
PC person Printer Support 4 06-15-2011 06:02 PM
Fiber optic install
I am about to embark on my first fiber optic install and would like some input and help. I have a few buildings that i want to run fiber between, lets say 5 to keep it simple. We are going to run a mmf between the buildings and have a termination box in each building. For now we are looking at...
simonbr Cabling and Network Cards 2 04-12-2011 04:47 PM