Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Is it possible to have a router receive wifi from another router?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to have a router receive wifi from another router? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so I bought yet another digital tv recorder. Went for the best this time, Humax and looking forward to

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Ok, so I bought yet another digital tv recorder. Went for the best this time, Humax and looking forward to not having all the problems we had with Goodmans products.

The unit is going to be used upstairs but in order for me to get the best from it, including having access to on demand services etc., it needs a broadband connection. My router is downstairs and I know that best results would be obtained by a wired connection but could I even buy an ethernet cable that long?

Homeplugs are the simplest solution for a wireless connection, but @ 30 each, that would be 60 that we don't really have to spare. A while ago my isp gave me a new router. Very nice but there was nothing wrong with the old one.

I had this idea that I may be able to use the old router upstairs to receive wifi from the main (downstairs) router.

Early Google results looked promising. I found this article >> How to set up a spare router to expand your Wi-Fi network coverage - PC Advisor but as I read through it, Homeplug adapters were still mentioned so I'm not sure now.

Heres the hardware specs.

Main router - D-Link DSL-3680 Couldn't find this listed at D-Link website but here it is. https://devices.dslshop.co.uk/product...x?idProduct=30

Secondary Router - D-Link DSL-2640R

The freesat recorder - HUMAX HDR-1000S 500GB

So, I want to have the second router upstairs receiving a wireless signal from the main router. I would then simply connect the digital recorder via ethernet cable to the upstairs router.

Can it be done?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

You would review the 2nd routers manual and look for wireless bridging. If not found than its not supported and can't be done.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Your D-Link DSL-2640R can't do that.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Your D-Link DSL-2640R can't do that.
If you're 100% sure, I'll mark it as solved. An open and shut case really.

What about a USB dongle, would that work? I'm sure one of the grandkids will have one lying around somewhere.

Of course, if the signal is not good enough, she will have skipping/pixelating, etc., which wouldn't be good so then I'll be looking at finding a way to make it wired.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

My System

My connection is through a telephone line and I know its not good to run a router through a telephone extension but would that work?

Or would it be better a buy a 10 metre adsl cable (RJ11)?

My main router only has 2 LAN outputs and they're already in use so whichever configuration I choose, I would have to use the second router upstairs.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

My Post #3 was response to Post #2.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

My System

Oh sorry, I assumed that was only a reference to the wireless configuration.

So, I can't use that router at all then, even wired?

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
TSF Emeritus

You could run a network [not phone] cable to upstairs and then follow this article to connect the 2nd router

Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum

You can't use but one adsl connection so the idea of running a telephone line and connecting a 2nd router won't work.

If you need more lan ports connect a switch to the router.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #9

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
You could run a network [not phone] cable to upstairs and then follow this article to connect the 2nd router

Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum

You can't use but one adsl connection so the idea of running a telephone line and connecting a 2nd router won't work.

If you need more lan ports connect a switch to the router.
So, provided I have a switch (I have one somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.) I don't need to use the second router. I can plug straight into the smart tv box.

I'm pretty much thinking out loud here.

Thanks very much for the assistance everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Yes you can...it's called a repeater. You can either buy one or convert an old wireless router using DDWRT firmware.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

How To Setup Wireless Repeater With DD-WRT - YouTube
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
TSF Emeritus

Couple of google links says this model D-Link DSL-2640R isn't supported for dd-wrt
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #12

My System

Theres an easy way to find out, Nothing to lose really.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

My System

If I can just say, I'm one of these men that some of our ladies often refer to in their jokes. Instructions are only there as a backup measure 'in case I can't figure it out all by myself'

I'm afraid I've managed to get through 7 years of learning about computers without looking at most of the instructions.

So, the simpler lessons like learning to do a good Google search keep getting pushed to the bottom of the todo list. How come you guys are finding stuff about that router?

I don't even see it on the D-Link website.

Or maybe its just me being thick again.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Couple of google links says this model D-Link DSL-2640R isn't supported for dd-wrt

I didn't check the list for device compatibility....probably should have. I was merely answering the post that it was indeed possible to do. To be quite honest, the new power line adapter technology seems to be the better choice now days. From what I've been told, using a repeater cuts the bandwidth in half....so says this one guy on another forum.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #15

My System

Trade secrets, eh?

I think I can solve the not enough lan ports problem by simply changing back to my old router (D-Link DSL-2640R) which has 4 ports. I remember reading somewhere in the info supplied for the YouView box that I could continue to use my old router but it may need an update, maybe firmware, not sure.

I've mislaid the power adapter for the old router but if this will work, it is obviously the cheapest option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
To be quite honest, the new power line adapter technology seems to be the better choice now days.
60 for those adapters may not seem like much money to some folk but, in my position, that kind of money to configure a wireless connection which may or may not be constant enough that there will not be rendering/pixellating, is just too expensive.

I saw someone post recently that there is no reason why anyone should be messing with old hardware, provided the new is doing its job. A silly comment really, there are probably all kinds of reasons why a dedicated computer user would want to experiment with such things. Why should I give away something that probably still works perfectly, its been paid for, whether it was me or my isp that paid is beside the point. I'm not going to send a perfectly good peice of equipment to be broken up for spares, if I can find a use for it.

Anyway, if this plan comes together, all I need to buy is a 10 metre ethernet cable @ around 15.

I'll post back and let you know how it goes

Submit New Articles Here

Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Game Team Tech

The reason it's not listed on the d link website as your router was made for talk talk, the usb dongle will only work if you connect it to a laptop or pc downstairs not sure if it will work on the freeview box, as some tv's do use wireless usb dongles.
Closed Thread