Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

I can't visit any website, even though my Internet connection is working fine.

This is a discussion on I can't visit any website, even though my Internet connection is working fine. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running a pretty new PC with Windows 7. This weekend I updated Itunes to the latest version, and

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am running a pretty new PC with Windows 7. This weekend I updated Itunes to the latest version, and did a restart. After the restart, I was unable to connect to any website, using IE or Chrome. I was also unable to update anything (like my malware software definitions). However, my Internet connection is just fine. Under network connections everything looks good, and I am able to connect to an online chess server and play chess games, so I know there's no issue with my connection.

Now, I run my malware program and it finds and fixes 7 issues. I assume this must be what's causing the problem. After another restart, a second malware scan comes up clean, same with my virus software. However, still unable to connect to anything online other than the chess server.

Finally, I pull an older computer out of the basement, disconnect the cat 5 going to the new computer, and connect it up to my older computer. I was surprised to get the very same issue -- I was unable to connect to any website, but the Internet connection is fine. So, I have to assume that the malware was never the issue, unless it possibly reset some settings with my router or modem? The old and the new computer were never connected in any way, so it's not possible that the malware infected the old computer.

Any suggestions? I have been struggling with this for a couple of days now and really could use some help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi
My Name is Kaushal and I work for social media and community Team at Dell.
It seems like it's a connectivity issue with the computer.
1: Try to turn off the modem for 30 sec and disconnect the Ethernet cable from computer and restart, once the commuter starts you have the desktop window up and turn on the internet modem and once all the lite on the modem gets stable, after that please check the internet.

2: The best option would be to restart your computer and TAP F8 and it will take to black windows where in , You can select "safe mode with networking".
Once the computer starts then check the internet connection and if it works fine it means it could be something in the computer which is blocking the internet. Like an Anti Virus like MacAfee, Norton, Avast

3:If these 2 doesn’t solve the problem as you mentioned you tried the second computer, it Also doesn’t work in that case please get in touch with your internet service provider.
You will surely have the solution
Thanks
Dell Kaushal P
Dell Social Media Responder
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Moved to Networking Support.

============================
Please start here.
Closed Thread