Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

How to setup two routers from one fiber connection plan?

This is a discussion on How to setup two routers from one fiber connection plan? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After a decade of using ADSL/landline broadband, I'm finally fed up and moving to use the fiber connection. I'm getting

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday
  • 1 Post By tristar
  • 1 Post By JimE
  • 1 Post By tristar
  • 1 Post By britechguy

Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Alternative Computing Team

My System

Idea

After a decade of using ADSL/landline broadband, I'm finally fed up and moving to use the fiber connection. I'm getting 10 times more speed for the same amount. But I'm naive about how it works and I don't expect my ISP to be a big help. This fiber connection is provided by our local cable company and last time they wanted to open Windows network configuration in an Ubuntu machine. So I think they only know how things work "usually" for most people and I would not ask them about the advice I'm asking here.

So, I would like to have a high speed plan but the thing is my office room and my family's usual territory is far from eachother. I'm all in if the "plan" can be splitted into two routers. The last option would be to take two separate connections. But anything else? I can only think of using a second router as repeater which I don't like. They won't get the signal from where they are and also can't move the positions. Can't connect them with Ethernet inside the house (don't want to do the cable decor again). Now I don't know if it is possible to "split" the connection in two from the ISP's side. I don't know any further details like the ONT or the modem.

Please share your ideas and advices. Thank you.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Any reason you don't want to use a repeater? https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-extenders-4043312
Gdn8Melbourne likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'd go with Corday's recommendation for a repeater, however if you need the LAN port as well to be available, you need to pull an ethernet cable and then hard wire it to another router, this will solve both purposes..

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Assuming your ISP only provides a single IP, then dual routers isn't an option.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Jim, we can connect one of the Ethernet ports from Router 1 to the WAN port in Router 2 right and use a subset of the primary DHCP scope and we should be able to use 2 routers ?

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

A home mesh system is the much easier way to go.

And you can use two routers connected by ethernet to range extend, but only one of them handles all the IP assignments. Having needed to do this once some years ago in a mixed-use building, I'd definitely not do it again now that mesh systems exist.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Alternative Computing Team

My System

Thank you all for the nice ideas. Seems like repeater is the only solution that works for me now. I would opt for home mesh system when I move to a new house or something.
I also talked to my ISP, I think I don't need much speed since I'm staying out for work most of the time. So I'm settling with 100mbps. Can you recoomend some good routers? I realized I can invest in those hybrid ONT+routers later.
(Oh it seems like my ISP will draw a ethernet from their ONT to my house, so I only need a router. But can this mean few other subscribers will have same ip as mine?!)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

In answer to your last question, no. Just like your physical house address and your phone number, your IP address must also be unique. For example:

If more than one house have address, then which house should the post office deliver mail with that address on it to?

If more than one phone has the same phone number, which one should the phone company direct an incoming call to that number?

Same with an IP Address. If more than one device on a network has the same IP Address, which device should the router send an incoming packet to that is supposed to go to that IP Address?

Make sense?
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 AM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I'm still using a many year old Asus that just won't die. I have a TP-Link that I picked up as an upgrade/replacement (I forget which model), that I haven't gotten around to installing and setting up.

Here are a few lists from popular sources:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-wi...view-2498.html
https://www.techradar.com/news/netwo...n-test-1090523
https://www.nbcnews.com/shopping/tec...uters-n1111341

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
Registered Member

I just set up a Netgrear Nighthawk MR1100 cell Internet router and a Netgear R6300 hardwired wifi/ethernet router. I connect to the R6300 through wifi from computers around the house. You could use a repeater too, to extend the signal.

I suppose you need a fiber input dedicated router with an ethernet out for data offloading to another router.
Red Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdn8Melbourne View Post
The last option would be to take two separate connections. But anything else? I can only think of using a second router as repeater which I don't like. They won't get the signal from where they are and also can't move the positions. Can't connect them with Ethernet inside the house (don't want to do the cable decor again). Now I don't know if it is possible to "split" the connection in two from the ISP's side. I don't know any further details like the ONT or the modem. Please share your ideas and advices. Thank you.
Can't u just call ur fiber line company and have them come out and run another line from the pole to where u want? if ur ISP was like mine, they would charge for the site visit, cable by the meter to the house, and rental for another fiber modem. Then they would do some magic in the second box, and then u would have another fiber modem to connect to another router using another SSID I suppose. (One might be able to then figure out how to setup the second router in repeater mode to the first, or just use another separate SSID/Network configuration).

Personally, I just use repeaters all over the place. Works fine, albiet the final "foot" of the signal is not as strong as I would like, but since I bought most of the repeaters years ago (cheap ones), they are running at 2.4 and not 5g. If I had this to do this all over again, I'd try MESH.
herojig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

herojig, please don't use 'text speak' here in the forums. We have readers of many different nationalities who may not understand.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband, fiber, network traffic, router