Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Connected but no internet all devices

This is a discussion on Connected but no internet all devices within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have had issues with the internet service being intermittent on all devices. It will always show connected but

Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have had issues with the internet service being intermittent on all devices. It will always show connected but i get the connect no internet message most of the time. Speeds are super slow. If i connect directly to the modem it seems to work sometimes and i get close to 200mps. I have replaced the modem, and the router now and still have the issue. It seems to be 2.4 side of the router that is always down. I still get the message on the 5ghz side but i can sometimes get it to connect. I have rebooted and reset a hundred times and have had the issue on and off for over a year. Thanks for your help.
CMiz2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Are you having a problem with wireless only? What happens if you connect your computer with an ethernet cable directly into the router, do you still have connection problems? Have you replaced the ethernet cable connecting the router to the modem?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Fred,

Yes it appears to be a wireless issue. It seems that it works on some of my devices at times but not everything. For example, right now I have speeds of 200+ on my ipad and hp laptop, but on my macbook i have less than 10. Firestick on the tv is working, but no wireless on my exercise bike or my samsung phone. I connected the ethernet cable directly from modem to bike and have good speed, but when i try to go ethernet from the router to bike I have nothing. I have replaced all ethernet cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #4

Do you have any other devices nearby like a cordless telephone, microwave, baby monitors? Those are some things that could interfere with your 2.4 GHz wireless signal. Unplug their power source and test your connection.

Have you contacted your ISP to see if they can look through your modem logs for errors or disconnections? That might help rule out wiring, splitters, etc up to the modem.

What's the model of your router? Check for a firmware update at the manufacturer's website. I would try resetting it to factory defaults or swap it out with another router as a test. It's a bit odd that you're having both wireless and wired connection problems with a new router, too. If you are certain that you can connect directly to the modem, flawlessly, with an ethernet cable, then the problem can't be on your ISP's side. If it was just one of your devices that was disconnecting, I'd say it could be the network card in that device. The only things left are bad cables, router or interference with your surroundings.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hey Fred,

The only wireless devices that I had were Lorex security cameras. I have turned these off and have no change in speed. I have no wireless internet service on the 2.4 side, and only speeds of 60mbps on the 5ghz right now.

I havent contacted them recently. They did come out a year ago and check everything and said it was fine.

Router is a linksys WRT32000acm and has the latest firmware. This is a new router (3months) and new modem (1 week). I have plenty of speed when I connect directly from modem to a device.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #6

CMiz, please clarify #1 for me. When someone is having intermittent wired And wireless problems at the same time, it's normally the ISP>Modem>or router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiz2184 View Post
If i connect directly to the modem it seems to work sometimes and i get close to 200mps.
1. You said you connect directly to the modem - you mean connecting an ethernet cable directly to your device from the modem, correct? If that connection only works sometimes, then you haven't ruled anything out, such as your ISP, wiring or the modem.

2. Make only one change at a time then test. I would run an ethernet cable from a LAN port in your router directly to your Macbook and check your connection. If the network connection is good, plug that same wire into the bike and see if the bike stays online.

3. Go to this networking sticky and follow the instructions for installing Xirrus wifi inspector and post a screenshot. I'd like to see how congested your wifi is. There's also a link for some Mac diagnostic info on that page you can try.

4. If you're sure someone hasn't incorrectly changed any settings in your router, double check your Wifi settings. I'd actually change your wifi name for testing purposes and set your WiFi mode to "WPA2 Personal", if it isn't already.

5. I think there's another option in your router's wifi settings to select B/G/N Only mode. Try that if #4 doesn't help.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
CMiz, please clarify #1 for me. When someone is having intermittent wired And wireless problems at the same time, it's normally the ISP>Modem>or router.

1. You said you connect directly to the modem - you mean connecting an ethernet cable directly to your device from the modem, correct? If that connection only works sometimes, then you haven't ruled anything out, such as your ISP, wiring or the modem.

2. Make only one change at a time then test. I would run an ethernet cable from a LAN port in your router directly to your Macbook and check your connection. If the network connection is good, plug that same wire into the bike and see if the bike stays online.

3. Go to this networking sticky and follow the instructions for installing Xirrus wifi inspector and post a screenshot. I'd like to see how congested your wifi is. There's also a link for some Mac diagnostic info on that page you can try.

4. If you're sure someone hasn't incorrectly changed any settings in your router, double check your Wifi settings. I'd actually change your wifi name for testing purposes and set your WiFi mode to "WPA2 Personal", if it isn't already.

5. I think there's another option in your router's wifi settings to select B/G/N Only mode. Try that if #4 doesn't help.

Fred,

1. When I connect directly to the modem with the ethernet cable everything works good.

2. When I connect from the LAN port of the router to my mac and bike there is no connection. I have rebooted everything and still no connection.

3. I have attached some diagnostics from my mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.02.16 AM.png
Views:	4
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	325484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.02.41 AM.png
Views:	5
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	325486  
Old 04-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

Fred,

Which option do I choose for the wifi mode? n only, g only, or gn?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

Try using "N Only" and see what happens. "G" is only needed for older devices for the most part.

Your router seems to be connected to your ISP, but it's worth it to get a new CAT5E network cable and replace the wire that goes from the modem to the WAN port on your router. The cable will have CAT5 or CAT5E printed on the cable, use CAT5E.

The reason I wanted to see a screen shot from the Xirrus software is that it will show me how many other networks you have nearby and what channels they are on. That info will give me an idea if your problem might be due to interference with other routers.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Here is a copy of the wifi report
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200408_092748.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	325492  
Old 04-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiz2184 View Post
1. When I connect directly to the modem with the ethernet cable everything works good.
OK, if you connect your computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and it stays connected with no problems, then your Comcast connection and modem are probably fine. The modem is actually a modem, right? Not a modem and router combo device. Please confirm.

Quote:
2. When I connect from the LAN port of the router to my mac and bike there is no connection. I have rebooted everything and still no connection.
You connect the router to your network between the modem and a device then the device can't connect to the internet with an ethernet cable. Logic says the router is your problem - a bad router, improper configuration or a bad modem to WAN cable.

I see from your Mac pics that the Macbook is getting an IP address from the router and using Comcast's DNS servers... maybe it's intermittent. I would try resetting the router to its factory defaults if replacing a cable doesn't fix it.

[modem]-----[router]----[computer]. You should only have one ethernet port in the back of your modem and you connect a wire from it to the WAN port of your router. Then you have a wire connected from a LAN port on the router going directly to your Macbook, right?

Sorry, I don't work on Macs, but if you can follow these instructions, you can test your computer's connection to your router & the internet. Where the instructions say "enter the IP address", use 192.168.1.1 then repeat the test and use google.com in place of the IP address. Failures or packet loss indicate a problem.

You have to make sure you have a working wired connection to your computer before moving onto fixing the wireless. Troubleshooting an exercise bike is going to be a lot tougher. You need to have a working wired connection, first.

Lastly, looking at the Xirrus screen shot, you have tons of interference from other wireless networks, especially the Direct FireTV networks. I wouldn't expect you to have a stable wireless signal just from looking at that. You could try manually changing your channel from 11 to 6, but get the wired connection sorted first.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
OK, if you connect your computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and it stays connected with no problems, then your Comcast connection and modem are probably fine. The modem is actually a modem, right? Not a modem and router combo device. Please confirm.

You connect the router to your network between the modem and a device then the device can't connect to the internet with an ethernet cable. Logic says the router is your problem - a bad router, improper configuration or a bad modem to WAN cable.

I see from your Mac pics that the Macbook is getting an IP address from the router and using Comcast's DNS servers... maybe it's intermittent. I would try resetting the router to its factory defaults if replacing a cable doesn't fix it.

[modem]-----[router]----[computer]. You should only have one ethernet port in the back of your modem and you connect a wire from it to the WAN port of your router. Then you have a wire connected from a LAN port on the router going directly to your Macbook, right?

Sorry, I don't work on Macs, but if you can follow these instructions, you can test your computer's connection to your router & the internet. Where the instructions say "enter the IP address", use 192.168.1.1 then repeat the test and use google.com in place of the IP address. Failures or packet loss indicate a problem.

You have to make sure you have a working wired connection to your computer before moving onto fixing the wireless. Troubleshooting an exercise bike is going to be a lot tougher. You need to have a working wired connection, first.

Lastly, looking at the Xirrus screen shot, you have tons of interference from other wireless networks, especially the Direct FireTV networks. I wouldn't expect you to have a stable wireless signal just from looking at that. You could try manually changing your channel from 11 to 6, but get the wired connection sorted first.

1. Yup, I have a separate modem and a separate router.

2. I have replaced the ethernet cables and resetted the router.

3. Im gonna work on the connection from the LAN to the mac this evening

4. I have turned off all the firesticks but one, and also changed the channel on my 2.4 side of the router.

I am connected to the 2.4 side right now on my mac but only have speeds of 24mbps

The firestick is running fine on the 5ghz side, but nothin else like my cell phone or ipad will connect to the 5ghz side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200409_200927.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	325500  
Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #13

You have a lot of wireless networks in your area and that's going to be an issue that's hard to overcome. Yesterday none of the networks were on channel 6, but now you have the next closest network on the same channel, so Direct-BS will interfere. You may have to keep your router on "auto" when it comes to channel selection. Ideally, you want 5 channels of separation from another strong signal.

The 2.4 GHz band has a stronger signal and reaches out farther, but has a lot of interference. The 5GHz band has a smaller signal reach, but it's faster and has much less interference for devices that can connect to it. Your iphone and ipad should be able to connect to 5GHz wifi if they're close enough to the router.

See if you can get a stable wired connection going first, even if it's just a temporary test for a week. If you have a big place, you might want to consider setting up a "mesh wireless network" with something like Netgear's Orbi system.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

I believe that direct bs is the remaining fire stick tv that I have left on. I have turned that off and still no wifi improvement. Ill work on the wired stuff tomorrow....thanks