Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

User Tag List

Addressing problems

This is a discussion on Addressing problems within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, This is probably an odd one but it's quite annoying. Thought I'm probably missing something. I have a

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

This is probably an odd one but it's quite annoying. Thought I'm probably missing something.

I have a bit of a new setup. Have a Sky router which is used to maintain DSL connection. Connected to this is a Teltonika 4G-RUT240 LTE router. I think I can ignore the mobile connection for now, it's working fine. Connected to this is a Linksys EA6900 router which I'm using for Wifi and providing main LAN.

So, the Sky router is connected fine to the internet on the WAN side. On the LAN side, I have it as a static IP (192.168.0.1), not serving DHCP. The WAN side of the Teltonika is connected to this, with a static IP (192.168.0.2) and gateway 192.168.0.1. The Teltonika reports this connection as fine, so I configure the LAN side of the Teltonika. I've tried setting this to 192.168.0.3 with DHCP disabled, but if I connect to it with a static IP (192.168.0.*, gateway 192.168.0.3) it's not reachable, nor is the sky router. If I switch the Teltonika DHCP on for the LAN side, I can connect fine and have internet access. That's the first odd thing, but fair enough. Next if I hook up the WAN side of the Linksys, it will not connect via DHCP or static IP unless I change the LAN addressing (currently 192.168.1.*). Once I do, it will connect and reports internet access. However, it will not let me address the LAN to 192.168.1.*. It appears to reboot twice and reverts to a random 10.*.*.* subnet on the LAN side.

Apologies if this is confusing, but I'd like to be able to connect to all the devices and choose my own addressing. It works but it's not how I want it. I can try to doodle a diagram if that helps?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'll admit it is a little confusing...

If you're not enabling DHCP, then ensure the IP Assignment is static, and also that particular IP is excluded from the DHCP scope wherever defined.

Any chance you can post the diagram ?

Old 03-04-2020, 04:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
I'll admit it is a little confusing...

If you're not enabling DHCP, then ensure the IP Assignment is static, and also that particular IP is excluded from the DHCP scope wherever defined.

Any chance you can post the diagram ?
You're not wrong, it's confusing me. I'll try doodle something.

Thanks!

Baps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Does this help? Have tried a couple of configurations. I was hoping to just statically address the three routers so I know where they are. Guess I could still do that with address reservations.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled Diagram.png
Views:	11
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	325278  
Old 03-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yep, you can setup a static address on all 3 of them.

So the devices are unable to pick up on the DHCP IP address specified on the Linksys ?

Old 03-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Two odd things really;

1) I'm unable to get a connection to the Teltonika router on the LAN side unless I turn DHCP on. I'm not sure why.
2) The Linksys will not allow me to use 192.168.1.* for the LAN side. It appears that it tries, then reverts to default.

I mean the setup is working as an internet connection, but I can't access the other two routers from the LAN of the Linksys. Can't change the subnet mask that much and I'm wary of readdressing the others to the 10.*.*.* subnet since it's random.

Does that make sense?

Baps.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbaps View Post
Hey guys,

This is probably an odd one but it's quite annoying. Thought I'm probably missing something.

I have a bit of a new setup. Have a Sky router which is used to maintain DSL connection. Connected to this is a Teltonika 4G-RUT240 LTE router. I think I can ignore the mobile connection for now, it's working fine. Connected to this is a Linksys EA6900 router which I'm using for Wifi and providing main LAN.

So, the Sky router is connected fine to the internet on the WAN side. On the LAN side, I have it as a static IP (192.168.0.1), not serving DHCP. The WAN side of the Teltonika is connected to this, with a static IP (192.168.0.2) and gateway 192.168.0.1. The Teltonika reports this connection as fine, so I configure the LAN side of the Teltonika. I've tried setting this to 192.168.0.3 with DHCP disabled, but if I connect to it with a static IP (192.168.0.*, gateway 192.168.0.3) it's not reachable, nor is the sky router. If I switch the Teltonika DHCP on for the LAN side, I can connect fine and have internet access. That's the first odd thing, but fair enough.
First mistake: the WAN and LAN interfaces of the Teltonika router must NOT be in the same network. You must not set the LAN side to 192.168.0.x while the WAN side is also set to 192.168.0.x. If you want the Sky router's LAN side and the Teltonika's LAN on the same network, connect the Teltonika to the Sky via one of the LAN ports of the Teltonika. No setup is needed on the WAN side, and the Teltonika becomes just a LAN switch. No DHCP or routing functionality is performed.

Quote:
Next if I hook up the WAN side of the Linksys, it will not connect via DHCP or static IP unless I change the LAN addressing (currently 192.168.1.*). Once I do, it will connect and reports internet access. However, it will not let me address the LAN to 192.168.1.*. It appears to reboot twice and reverts to a random 10.*.*.* subnet on the LAN side.

Apologies if this is confusing, but I'd like to be able to connect to all the devices and choose my own addressing. It works but it's not how I want it. I can try to doodle a diagram if that helps?

Many thanks.
Same mistake here. LAN and WAN interface of Linksys router must not be on the same network (192.168.1.x).

Please clarify, is the Sky router a modem/router combo, or just a router?

This is how I would go about it:

1. Sky
LAN: 192.168.0.1 (static)
DHCP server OFF
Connect to Teltonika's LAN interface.

2. Teltonika
LAN: 192.168.0.2 (static)
DHCP server OFF
Connect to Sky's LAN interface
Set internet source to WAN (dhcp). Since no WAN connection, this will not affect anything.
Connect LAN side to Teltonika's WAN interface.

3. Linksys
WAN: static 192.168.0.3, gateway 192.168.0.1 (Sky) - connected to LAN side of Teltonika
LAN: 192.168.1.1 (connected to LAN and WLAN PCs)
DHCP: ON, range/pool 192.168.1.x - 192.168.1.xxx, gateway 192.168.1.1 (for DHCP clients)
Wifi (WLAN)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hey Stancestans,

The sky router is a modem/router maintaining the primary internet connection. I need to have it connected to the WAN port on the Teltonika unfortunately. The Teltonika is a mobile/cellular broadband failover device, so since the sky router is providing the internet connection, my understanding it is has to be chained through the Teltonika so when it drops, the Teltonika switches to its mobile WAN and the rest of the network carries on unaware (more or less). No?

Sorry I was leaving out the mobile failover to avoid complicating the issue.

Thanks,

Baps.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbaps View Post
Hey Stancestans,

The sky router is a modem/router maintaining the primary internet connection. I need to have it connected to the WAN port on the Teltonika unfortunately. The Teltonika is a mobile/cellular broadband failover device, so since the sky router is providing the internet connection, my understanding it is has to be chained through the Teltonika so when it drops, the Teltonika switches to its mobile WAN and the rest of the network carries on unaware (more or less). No?

Sorry I was leaving out the mobile failover to avoid complicating the issue.

Thanks,

Baps.
Check out https://www.lifewire.com/home-networ...ections-817722

It explains better than I could, what you wish to achieve and the various options you can approach it with. It's a complicated setup, so it'll take more than just daisy-chaining two routers. A dual WAN fail-over router would work well here, but they are business-class and costly. Examples are here https://www.pickmyrouter.com/best-dual-wan-routers/

Update:
It seems your Teltonika router has automatic fail-over capabilities, and you can set up a backup WAN connection to be used when the primary WAN connection is down. Using the Teltonika's fail-over capabilities, this is how I would go about the whose setup:

1. Sky router
LAN: static, 192.168.0.1, connected to WAN port of Teltonika as primary WAN.
DHCP server OFF

2. Teltonika
WAN1: static, 192.168.0.2, gateway 192.168.0.1 (Sky), connected to LAN port of Sky router, as primary WAN
WAN2: 4G/LTE, as backup/failover internet connection
LAN: static, 192.168.1.1, connected to LAN port of Linksys router
DHCP server OFF

3. Linksys
WAN: DHCP (no effect since no connection to it)
LAN: static, 192.168.1.2, connected to LAN port of Teltonika router
DHCP server ON, range/pool 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 (or as preferred), gateway for DHCP clients 192.168.1.1 (Teltonika's LAN interface)
Wifi
Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Check Teltonika's manual for guidance as well.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Check out https://www.lifewire.com/home-networ...ections-817722

It explains better than I could, what you wish to achieve and the various options you can approach it with. It's a complicated setup, so it'll take more than just daisy-chaining two routers. A dual WAN fail-over router would work well here, but they are business-class and costly. Examples are here https://www.pickmyrouter.com/best-dual-wan-routers/

Update:
It seems your Teltonika router has automatic fail-over capabilities, and you can set up a backup WAN connection to be used when the primary WAN connection is down. Using the Teltonika's fail-over capabilities, this is how I would go about the whose setup:

1. Sky router
LAN: static, 192.168.0.1, connected to WAN port of Teltonika as primary WAN.
DHCP server OFF

2. Teltonika
WAN1: static, 192.168.0.2, gateway 192.168.0.1 (Sky), connected to LAN port of Sky router, as primary WAN
WAN2: 4G/LTE, as backup/failover internet connection
LAN: static, 192.168.1.1, connected to LAN port of Linksys router
DHCP server OFF

3. Linksys
WAN: DHCP (no effect since no connection to it)
LAN: static, 192.168.1.2, connected to LAN port of Teltonika router
DHCP server ON, range/pool 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 (or as preferred), gateway for DHCP clients 192.168.1.1 (Teltonika's LAN interface)
Wifi
Thanks Stancestans, I get what you're suggesting here. I'll give that a try.

On another note, I've just realised the Teltonika only has 100Mbps ethernet. That's a pain. Getting fttp installed so that's going to be the limiting factor with this setup. Guess I might have to upgrade it already.

Edit: oh, and if I set the subnet to 255.255.254.0 I should be able to reach the sky router, yes?

Baps.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Edit: oh, and if I set the subnet to 255.255.254.0 I should be able to reach the sky router, yes?
For my proposed setup, that won't be necessary. The default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will work just fine.
Closed Thread