Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Women entering the IT industry..............

This is a discussion on Women entering the IT industry.............. within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Probably a bit late in the day for me to be considering a career in IT, however, I would

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

Hi,

Probably a bit late in the day for me to be considering a career in IT, however, I would appreciate any honest feedback.

I graduated with a Business degree a few weeks ago from a red brick Uni - I'm 32. Prior to my academic studies, I worked for a central government department for 10 years, chiefly working with SAP ERP software (Procurement and Finance).
During these 10 years service, I completed a couple of computing courses at college (Networking and Web Design) - not CompTIA - but I suppose that's neither here or there as they are probably worthless now. Also undertook a couple of short-scale IT projects within my job, including floor walking for an IT Networking post-migration server project which lasted a couple of weeks down south. It was just luck really that I got offered the opportunity because my main job was procurement/finance centric.

I've always been an enthusiast of networking over the years, but don't know why I didn't take it seriously enough to actually do a degree at uni or pursue entry-level IT jobs. Probably complacency in my previous civil service job....

Anyway, so just finished my degree in Business but because the subject is so broad, I would like to develop expertise - and this is where networking comes into it. I'm going to self study the CompTIA A+ and Networking + within 1 year, then progress to the CCNA (at somepoint thereafter, want to be a Project Manager, but have to get industry experience first, so will pursue PM cert's after industry experience).

So, question is, are there opportunites for firstly, women (tell me if it's going to be tough/judgemental), and secondly, opportunities for a woman of my age (32 - ok, not old, but not a spring chicken either).

I consider myself to be strong/tough enough to work in a male dominated environment having worked with mostly guys in most of my job roles, and I don't have any commitments (no children - just career driven).

Cheers,

Emma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma32 View Post
So, question is, are there opportunites for firstly, women (tell me if it's going to be tough/judgemental)
Yes. Last I checked, being able to administer a network didn't depend upon what body parts you have.

Quote:
and secondly, opportunities for a woman of my age (32 - ok, not old, but not a spring chicken either).
I know people who have gotten into IT in their 50s and 60s... so you've got quite a bit of a head start on them!

Don't sell your experience short... that negativity will absolutely come through on an interview. Be confident about what you've done and what you can do.

I would say you have a good plan with regards to A+ and Network+. Hold off on the CCNA until you've got quite a bit of IT experience - it's not considered an entry-level certification.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your response Michael, I appreciate it.

I know women can and do get into the IT industry, it's just that i know it's a very male oriented industry and I wasn't sure how seriously they would take me in an interview.

Yes, I will make sure I don't sell myself short with my prior experience; i'll explain it in such a way where I can demonstrate its value within an IT capacity.

Thanks once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Not sure where in the world you are but in the UK I know more women in IT than I do men, although that being said I know moew men at the top who used to be accountants and really know nothing about IT running it.

32 isn't old, took me a long time to get into ITand I was 33.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
I know women can and do get into the IT industry, it's just that i know it's a very male oriented industry and I wasn't sure how seriously they would take me in an interview.
If a hiring manager doesn't take you seriously based solely on your gender, then that's probably not a place you - or I - would want to work, is it? I mean, if they're going to make a poor decision as that, what other poor decisions are they making on a daily basis?

Trust me, there are plenty of places who will hire you regardless of gender, age, or ethnicity. There's no place for discrimination like that. :)
Closed Thread