Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Will this +A book be suffice?

This is a discussion on Will this +A book be suffice? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys so i googled some +A books and found a book for 2 dollars, altogether it came out to

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys so i googled some +A books and found a book for 2 dollars, altogether it came out to be like 6 with shipping etc however i feel like its 2 dollars since most of the info in it will be redundant. Yes i know i should of done more research on what type of exams i would have to take. CompTia A+ exams are CompTIA A+ 220-801 and CompTIA A+ 220-802 however the book i ordered covers CompTIA A+ exams 220-601, 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604 so will any info in that book be useful at all? It was only 6 bucks so i can just donate it to a local library or something if it isn't useful or better yet throw it away. Its called..

A+ Certification Study Guide, Sixth Edition

I am also doing some online practice test (free) and i just came across a question talking about Tape drives lol.. does anyone know if tape drives will be in the exam? I googled it and it mentioned something about tape drives being made in the 1950s... so? 0_o anyway i would greatly appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

It will contain some useful info, but it won't be up-to-date... that book is two revisions old (approximately 2006-2009). New stuff has been added, and old stuff has been removed.

Beware of "free online practice tests". There are a few legit ones out there, but many, many, many of them contain braindumps, which are illegal questions copied (stolen) from the live exam. CompTIA considers using them to be cheating and can get you decertified for life before you've even begun. Not worth it.

The other problem with free exams is that you get what you pay for. There's no assurance that the material you're studying is going to be remotely relevant to the live exam. Unfortunately, nobody who has taken the exam is allowed to tell you what is going to be on the exam... not legally, anyway. We all sign a non-disclosure agreement with CompTIA when we take the exam - as you will also be required to do - that states we agree to not disclose anything we see on the exam (and if we do, we risk being sent to Decertification City, just like the braindumpers).

So, what's on the exam? CompTIA's A+ blueprint tells you everything you need to know: Exam Objectives
Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

I honestly don't even want to risk it. I will stick with the first recommendation which was Mike Meyers All-in-One. Thanks a lot again for everything Boson! Def much help. Those exam objectives were extremely useful as well. As far as the book, i don't even think i will donate it to the library, i wouldn't want anyone to waste their time learning any information that is no longer relevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalgritz View Post
I honestly don't even want to risk it. I will stick with the first recommendation which was Mike Meyers All-in-One. Thanks a lot again for everything Boson! Def much help. Those exam objectives were extremely useful as well. As far as the book, i don't even think i will donate it to the library, i wouldn't want anyone to waste their time learning any information that is no longer relevant.
The information is still relevant to real life... it just might not be on the exam.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalgritz View Post
Hey guys so i googled some +A books and found a book for 2 dollars, altogether it came out to be like 6 with shipping etc however i feel like its 2 dollars since most of the info in it will be redundant. Yes i know i should of done more research on what type of exams i would have to take. CompTia A+ exams are CompTIA A+ 220-801 and CompTIA A+ 220-802 however the book i ordered covers CompTIA A+ exams 220-601, 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604 so will any info in that book be useful at all? It was only 6 bucks so i can just donate it to a local library or something if it isn't useful or better yet throw it away. Its called..

A+ Certification Study Guide, Sixth Edition

I am also doing some online practice test (free) and i just came across a question talking about Tape drives lol.. does anyone know if tape drives will be in the exam? I googled it and it mentioned something about tape drives being made in the 1950s... so? 0_o anyway i would greatly appreciate the help!
The new exams are 801/802 and those books won't cover many of the new topics in the exam, i know this cause i passed the 801/802 in August...
You can pick up a second hand Mike Mayers book easy enough..
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I don't see why everyone on this website seems to think A+ is a great certification. A+ is probably the easiest certification you can get and also the most useless. If you look at any job openings you will be hard pressed to find a real IT professional requirement being A+ certified technician.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuper7one View Post
I don't see why everyone on this website seems to think A+ is a great certification. A+ is probably the easiest certification you can get and also the most useless. If you look at any job openings you will be hard pressed to find a real IT professional requirement being A+ certified technician.

I disagree. The A+ even as a refresher is great, if nothing else to brush up on hardware basics is never a bad idea. It's not useless. The company I work for (not my own business) hires A+ candidates based mostly on that cert ... because basics are important. Respecting the basics of PC/Networking tech is even more important.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
A+ is an entry-level certification designed for entry-level techs... not people who have years of experience in the industry. Therefore, it is great for people who are getting started in IT. Many entry-level IT jobs do list A+ as a desired or required certification.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGeek View Post
I disagree. The A+ even as a refresher is great, if nothing else to brush up on hardware basics is never a bad idea. It's not useless. The company I work for (not my own business) hires A+ candidates based mostly on that cert ... because basics are important. Respecting the basics of PC/Networking tech is even more important.
Agree, completely. You would be surprised how many MCSEs there were in the 90s (when you could get a job based solely on certifications without having experience) who didn't know how to do simple things, like format a hard drive. Seriously, that's what's caused employers to devalue certifications, particularly when an individual doesn't have the appropriate level of real-world experience: certified people who can't do simple things, such as those found on the A+ exam.

For what it's worth, I expect a seasoned network engineer or server administrator to be able to do all those "easy" things... and to mentor entry-level techs who might need their help.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Interesting points. I suppose it doesn't ever hurt to go back to basics or know the basics. I just feel like, if you are going to spend the time and money, to invest in a certification. Make it a better one than A+. But if that is the path you want to go down and you have the time and money, than yes, A+ is a great certification to start towards.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Interesting points. I suppose it doesn't ever hurt to go back to basics or know the basics. I just feel like, if you are going to spend the time and money, to invest in a certification. Make it a better one than A+. But if that is the path you want to go down and you have the time and money, than yes, A+ is a great certification to start towards.
Everyone has to start somewhere, and unless they've got a relative who is willing to give a newbie a chance at a higher-level job, they have to start at the bottom. Higher-level certifications like the MCSA or CCNA aren't going to magically help you get a better job if you don't have any experience. Certifications (with the exception of the entry-level ones) are designed to show that you already have experience with a technology... not that you want to work with a technology.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Back in the last century (1983-87) i served my apprenticeship as a carpenter, it took four yrs to complete and i began my life as a chippy, in answer to your post, i see the a+ as the 1st year of an apprenticeship as in you've got to start somewhere, i recently passed the a+, yes its basic but i've learnt stuff that i'd never have know if i didn't take the exam..
Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Troubled

The best cert you can have is the few basic certs and then a few advanced, but the best way to get a job is to know someone, and in a job demonstrate you have the skills. Example when I had merely an A+ I was already answering questions of those with the most advanced CISCO degrees. It was because I always went back to basics and mastered it over a period of 10 years, refreshed myself with it. Along the way I learned things that I later found out that others learned only in certs, but I had already done it in the field many times over.
Closed Thread