Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Which Degree is right?

This is a discussion on Which Degree is right? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I currently changed my major to computer information systems / computer support.. I am getting an associates and then

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I currently changed my major to computer information systems / computer support.. I am getting an associates and then an going to continue into information technology. Is this the right degree for me to be doing stuff like in these videos as a hobby easily..

(Video below)

Or would I need some engineering in there.... Basically I want as my job to be able to build/ fix hardware of computers (this includes having knowledge of the specifications and power requirement of the system) as well as having a fair amount of knowledge about the software so I can make the computer to the best of its abilities and be able to diagnose issues because of crashes troubleshooting, etc. As well I would like to be able to network multiple computers and device in a modern style such as to include tablets, Wi-Fi, printers, etc. Also to be able to network big businesses where it waitress a identification and pass to login to one system... I would also like to be able to encrypt data and keep it secure as all as knowing enough info on security to be able to protect the network and even just a home PC from minor hackers as well as viruses to include malware and spyware... Sorry I am a newb at this stuff and just need to know if I am going down the right path for this type of career I thought computer support would be a good start then move to IT maybe minor in cyber securitysecurity or engineering then go into business to start a computer company IDK please comment and tell me what you think.. Thank you

The BEST Xbox 360 Laptop Ever!: The BEST Xbox 360 Laptop Ever! - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

you don't need a degree to build a fix problems on computers, you need practice and experience.

A degree would help in IT or engineering when it comes to things like making motherboards and components and to do things like in the video but really experience in doing it would help even more. To get parts, and putting them together to make a new computer requires google, a bit of reading of component reviews and practice.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics or Maths degree and Programming?
So I'm (almost) certain that I want to do a maths or physics degree in 2-4 years time (I've left college and could go to university now, but I have other things I want to do first). However, I'm not sure what I want to do career-wise; I may wish to become an astrophysicist or something, but I feel...
jrockpunk1 Certification & Career 2 10-26-2013 10:38 AM
Which 2 year degree has a strong job market and worth doing?
Hi everyone. I currently do not have a degree and want to enter the IT world. I have obligations that would need me to have a full time job throughout my education so a 2 year degree is the most logical choice. I mostly have experience in end user trouble shooting; computers and network issues....
Deejay06 Certification & Career 4 09-11-2013 08:58 PM
Worth it to go for a computer related degree?
Right now I am attending Walden University. It's a online university. I go primarily for two reasons. One is I get a 25% discount because my wife goes there too and a year from now she graduates. The second reason is because we had a big family tragedy recently and I have to be there to cope with...
jc0481 Certification & Career 3 11-22-2011 05:47 AM
A good degree for It jobs
I am currently an IT in the US Navy and am looking into going to school when i get out. I would love to eventually be a system admin for a company some day, and i figure a good way to get into the field is with some certs and a degree. But, the problem i am having is i cannot really find any good...
purplesuit1 Certification & Career 3 11-09-2011 12:39 AM
programming with a degree in anthropology?
So, I'm currently in school working on an anthropology degree and a GIS certificate. while mapping out archaeological sites for a few summers sounds like fun, I'm starting to look outside the box to where I can eventually find my niche. in high school, I took one year of drafting and owned...
scootmfrost Certification & Career 5 03-17-2011 05:01 AM