Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which certs are entry level?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BosonMichael 
#1 ·
It is clear I need entry level certs, but which ones are considered entry level, which ones should I get and how many?

A+, net+, security+, MCITP, CCENT, CWNA, etc...

Also, should I still take CCNA 3 and 4 if I'm not going to certify for it?

#5 ·
JMPC said:
The COMPTIA could all be considered entry level. Most certs have a more advanced level depending on the area of study.

Which you do first depends on your level of knowledge and experience and what your job may require.
Well I'm in school at the moment and do not have a job. Planning on finishing up next semester with A+ and Net+ and look for something local during the summer. I do want to finish the associates in networking though. I am just trying to plan as best I can for what will be desirable in the entry level job market. The certs mentioned in the OP are all part if the degree program.

I plan to go for tech support and eventually one day work up to server admin. network admin (Ccna) is not of great interest, but I like the windows environment. I will take the sever admin classes, but won't certify since everyone has advised against high level certs for entry level people.

I am wondering though what I should certify in.

Thanks for the feedback.

#6 ·
Given that info I would definitely go for the A+ and Network+. Experience will also be a big help so get as much as you can while still in still. Getting the entry level Microsoft certs will also help. Take a look at the jobs in your area and see what type of experience or education they're looking for.

#7 · (Edited)
A+,N+ and MCTS/MCITP windows 7 are entry level everything else is not.

It is not true that all compTIA certs are entry level but it is true that most compTIA certs are a stepping stone to the advanced certs for example Network+ plus experience in a cisco environment will set you up for gaining the CCNA or A+,Network+ and MCITP windows 7 + experience supporting and troubleshooting networks will prepare you for the MCSA.

Experience is king in IT. If you want to be a network engineer for example you could have all the certs in the world but no experience against someone with 3 years experience and no certifications/qualifications without question the guy with the experience would get hired.

get experience in a computer repair shop or helpdesk whilst studying the A+ and N+ and you will be at an advantage when you go for a real career based position.

#8 ·
A+,N+ and MCTS/MCITP windows 7 are entry level everything else is not.

It is not true that all compTIA certs are entry level but it is true that most compTIA certs are a stepping stone to the advanced certs for example Network+ plus experience in a cisco environment will set you up for gaining the CCNA or A+,Network+ and MCITP windows 7 + experience supporting and troubleshooting networks will prepare you for the MCSA.

Experience is king in IT. If you want to be a network engineer for example you could have all the certs in the world but no experience against someone with 3 years experience and no certifications/qualifications without question the guy with the experience would get hired.

get experience in a computer repair shop or helpdesk whilst studying the A+ and N+ and you will be at an advantage when you go for a real career based position.
This. I would encourage you to work - even part time - in an entry-level IT job while in school. You can do it - I went to school for a BS in Chemistry and still worked a 40-hour-per-week job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.