Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Which 2 year degree has a strong job market and worth doing?

This is a discussion on Which 2 year degree has a strong job market and worth doing? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. I currently do not have a degree and want to enter the IT world. I have obligations that

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I currently do not have a degree and want to enter the IT world. I have obligations that would need me to have a full time job throughout my education so a 2 year degree is the most logical choice.

I mostly have experience in end user trouble shooting; computers and network issues. I recently failed to land a Mainframe developer trainee job but it made me realize I have the aptitude to program as well.

I am really torn between these 2 year degrees; programming such as CS /.net developer, or desktop support or network admin.

I've been researching and I've been discouraged to go the programming route if it's just a 2 year degree. I also heard network jobs are very competitive at this time. I am leaning towards desktop support just because it's needed everywhere and the job market is strong. One drawback for me on the desktop support degree is, I am unsure of the ceiling for desktop support. I am looking to start anywhere but really want to make 60-75k after 7-10 years.

I feel I have the aptitude to do whichever one but really need some advice on people who know the job market and have the experience.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Both career fields are worth doing. Just depends on what you'd enjoy more.

Programmers typically get a degree because they learn to program (and program more effectively) while in college. That said, if you know how to code, the degree is nice, but not necessary. All you need is a portfolio of code you've developed.

You don't need a degree to get started in desktop support, and you won't likely need a degree to advance to network administration. A degree will simply open up jobs (generally supervisory/management roles) later in your career that would otherwise be unavailable to you.

You won't likely be doing desktop support 7-10 years from now... not if you're advancing steadily. Salaries vary from place to place, but I'd say the odds are pretty good that you could be making your desired salary by then.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

I suggest getting hands on experience where ever you can.

I have no degree, no certs, but a boatload of experience from being at the right place at the right time and.... Yes, working for low wages performing high wage jobs.

Experience trumps certs and degrees. My friend just got two 80k job offers and accepted one of them. He has no degree. He has tons of experience and can get the job done. He's been at the job for 4 weeks and everyone is thrilled to have him.

I myself, with no degree, am being considered for a high salary job at an extremely well known security company. They were more concerned that I actually knew my stuff than that I had a degree or certs. (Current job as Systems Admin for multiple companies as MSP.)

Better to be underpaid and overqualified during your first years. Consider any low pay job where you can actually have hands on server/app experience an internship and all will work out for you.

That's my two cents,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

For networking jobs in the current market you will need experience OR certifications (such as CCNA). Even most entry level openings will list certifications as a requirement, but they aren't always necessary.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
For networking jobs in the current market you will need experience OR certifications (such as CCNA). Even most entry level openings will list certifications as a requirement, but they aren't always necessary.
Sorry, Dogg, will have to disagree with you. Gone are the days when certifications without experience would get you a job. Having the CCNA without experience won't get you much of anywhere anymore.
Closed Thread