Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Where do I go from now? I.T degree

This is a discussion on Where do I go from now? I.T degree within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year. Information


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast
 
tanveerahmed2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 578
OS: Windows 7 | Kubuntu


Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year.

Information Technology | University of Hertfordshire

While I'm towards the end of my 2nd year (exams), over summer I need to do something to boost my degree, because it's going to very hard to get a job in this field.

I was looking at CompTIA A+ on this website
it-technical | CompTIA A+ - ITonlinelearning

as I can do it online, will it boost my degree and give me the slight edge when applying for certain jobs or open some career path way?

any one who can give a lost guy some advice

thanks,
Tan
tanveerahmed2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager
 
joeten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 68,185
OS: win 10 Home



You could do that you might also look for some volunteer work IE a Church group, local charity etc doing IT work so you get some hands on experience.Hands on is going to be important when applying for work as it shows you have a working knowledge not just the theoretical,or book knowledge.
__________________






Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline  
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16,762
OS: Windows 7

My System


Read my article on the A+ although the exams are now the 8th edition.CompTIA A+ update | Tech Support Forum

What I can't stress enough is, get real experience in a job or volunteering.

Degrees, certs and qualifications mean nothing these days without experience. If you get your degree you will still be starting somewhere near the bottom unless you get experience.

Even working at best buy of somewhere like that will help, as long as your doing IT stuff and not working as a sales person who pretends to know what they are talking about.

As I say in my article, you dont need to pay for a course to do the A+, just get the books study it, practice it and then book the exams and pass them.
__________________
Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast
 
tanveerahmed2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 578
OS: Windows 7 | Kubuntu


Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
You could do that you might also look for some volunteer work IE a Church group, local charity etc doing IT work so you get some hands on experience.Hands on is going to be important when applying for work as it shows you have a working knowledge not just the theoretical,or book knowledge.
I will volunteer at a disabled childrens place soon, maybe that might be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
Read my article on the A+ although the exams are now the 8th edition.CompTIA A+ update | Tech Support Forum

What I can't stress enough is, get real experience in a job or volunteering.

Degrees, certs and qualifications mean nothing these days without experience. If you get your degree you will still be starting somewhere near the bottom unless you get experience.

Even working at best buy of somewhere like that will help, as long as your doing IT stuff and not working as a sales person who pretends to know what they are talking about.

As I say in my article, you dont need to pay for a course to do the A+, just get the books study it, practice it and then book the exams and pass them.
Ok I read the article, so how do I just book the test? howmuch does that test cost, I want to attempt it?
tanveerahmed2k is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager
 
joeten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 68,185
OS: win 10 Home



Have you done the studying and do you have the equipment needed to do the labs.
you will need to find a test centre near you Locate a Test Center
https://certification.comptia.org/Tr...xamprices.aspx
__________________






Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast
 
tanveerahmed2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 578
OS: Windows 7 | Kubuntu


Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Have you done the studying and do you have the equipment needed to do the labs.
you will need to find a test centre near you Locate a Test Center
https://certification.comptia.org/Tr...xamprices.aspx
I haven't done the studying I was just curious, I want to study it from 16th may for 1 month, then book test?
tanveerahmed2k is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager
 
joeten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 68,185
OS: win 10 Home



I think you might be pushing things a little with a month
__________________






Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16,762
OS: Windows 7

My System


Its in the article if I remember how to book the exams.

You visit the pearsonvue or prometric website, book and pay for the two exams and take the exams at your nearest test centre where you will find out where they are on the pearsonvue or prometric website.

I am in the UK so can't comment on how much the exams are where you are but they are generally £130 + VAT each.

You can buy discount vouchers which you use to pay for the exams from CompTIA Vouchers - A+ Certification Exam CompTIA Voucher Test Discount at Prometric / VUE Testing Centers make sure you purchase the ones for your area. The website puts America and Canada first.

There is more than one exam to be A+ certified you need to pass two exams, buy the relevent editions of the books I mentioned in my article and then take some practice tests to see how you do.

Unless you have lots of experience I guarantee that one month isn't long enough, there is stuff in the A+ that you will not have been taught in school or in your degree.

ps gracetech is only valid for pearsonvue
__________________
Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 6
OS: Windows7



Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerahmed2k View Post
I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year.

Information Technology | University of Hertfordshire

While I'm towards the end of my 2nd year (exams), over summer I need to do something to boost my degree, because it's going to very hard to get a job in this field.

I was looking at CompTIA A+ on this website
it-technical | CompTIA A+ - ITonlinelearning

as I can do it online, will it boost my degree and give me the slight edge when applying for certain jobs or open some career path way?

any one who can give a lost guy some advice

thanks,
Tan
Your link seems to have moved, updated it to make my response up to date.

The CompTIA A+ certification is probably the most popular certification with tech professionals, especially with support focused individuals. (As far as I am aware.)

I have actually completed this certification myself (Not the official CompTIA version.) and have found it very beneficial in my career and gaming life.

The CompTIA A+ has modules that cover OS and Networking, which makes it a good starting place. I think studying the CompTIA A+ after university is a good idea, especially if you are looking to always keep your skills current.

All the best.
Viking_echo is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast
 
tanveerahmed2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 578
OS: Windows 7 | Kubuntu


Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_echo View Post
Your link seems to have moved, updated it to make my response up to date.

The CompTIA A+ certification is probably the most popular certification with tech professionals, especially with support focused individuals. (As far as I am aware.)

I have actually completed this certification myself (Not the official CompTIA version.) and have found it very beneficial in my career and gaming life.

The CompTIA A+ has modules that cover OS and Networking, which makes it a good starting place. I think studying the CompTIA A+ after university is a good idea, especially if you are looking to always keep your skills current.

All the best.
oh wow, I posted this in 2014. Just saw a email notification that someone responded to it and was surprised!

Fast forward to 2017. I Graduated from uni, did half my masters (then dropped out), went to several interviews for IT Support/Technician/Help desk. Got rejected from them all!
In the end, I became a Junior Web Developer.
tanveerahmed2k is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics or Maths degree and Programming?
So I'm (almost) certain that I want to do a maths or physics degree in 2-4 years time (I've left college and could go to university now, but I have other things I want to do first). However, I'm not sure what I want to do career-wise; I may wish to become an astrophysicist or something, but I feel...
jrockpunk1 Certification & Career 2 10-26-2013 10:38 AM
Which 2 year degree has a strong job market and worth doing?
Hi everyone. I currently do not have a degree and want to enter the IT world. I have obligations that would need me to have a full time job throughout my education so a 2 year degree is the most logical choice. I mostly have experience in end user trouble shooting; computers and network issues....
Deejay06 Certification & Career 4 09-11-2013 08:58 PM
Worth it to go for a computer related degree?
Right now I am attending Walden University. It's a online university. I go primarily for two reasons. One is I get a 25% discount because my wife goes there too and a year from now she graduates. The second reason is because we had a big family tragedy recently and I have to be there to cope with...
jc0481 Certification & Career 3 11-22-2011 05:47 AM
Getting into I.T
Hi guys, just want to say i'm loving the forum, I want to become a tech guru and I'm sure this site will really help me. I'm undertaking a degree in Film & Television Production BSc, this involves me using final cut pro (editing) and adobe audition (science in sound) alot, aswell im learning about...
averagejoe2 Certification & Career 1 11-14-2011 09:32 AM
A good degree for It jobs
I am currently an IT in the US Navy and am looking into going to school when i get out. I would love to eventually be a system admin for a company some day, and i figure a good way to get into the field is with some certs and a degree. But, the problem i am having is i cannot really find any good...
purplesuit1 Certification & Career 3 11-09-2011 12:39 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts