Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Where do I go from now? I.T degree

This is a discussion on Where do I go from now? I.T degree within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year. Information

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year.

Information Technology | University of Hertfordshire

While I'm towards the end of my 2nd year (exams), over summer I need to do something to boost my degree, because it's going to very hard to get a job in this field.

I was looking at CompTIA A+ on this website
it-technical | CompTIA A+ - ITonlinelearning

as I can do it online, will it boost my degree and give me the slight edge when applying for certain jobs or open some career path way?

any one who can give a lost guy some advice

thanks,
Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You could do that you might also look for some volunteer work IE a Church group, local charity etc doing IT work so you get some hands on experience.Hands on is going to be important when applying for work as it shows you have a working knowledge not just the theoretical,or book knowledge.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

Read my article on the A+ although the exams are now the 8th edition.CompTIA A+ update | Tech Support Forum

What I can't stress enough is, get real experience in a job or volunteering.

Degrees, certs and qualifications mean nothing these days without experience. If you get your degree you will still be starting somewhere near the bottom unless you get experience.

Even working at best buy of somewhere like that will help, as long as your doing IT stuff and not working as a sales person who pretends to know what they are talking about.

As I say in my article, you dont need to pay for a course to do the A+, just get the books study it, practice it and then book the exams and pass them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
You could do that you might also look for some volunteer work IE a Church group, local charity etc doing IT work so you get some hands on experience.Hands on is going to be important when applying for work as it shows you have a working knowledge not just the theoretical,or book knowledge.
I will volunteer at a disabled childrens place soon, maybe that might be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
Read my article on the A+ although the exams are now the 8th edition.CompTIA A+ update | Tech Support Forum

What I can't stress enough is, get real experience in a job or volunteering.

Degrees, certs and qualifications mean nothing these days without experience. If you get your degree you will still be starting somewhere near the bottom unless you get experience.

Even working at best buy of somewhere like that will help, as long as your doing IT stuff and not working as a sales person who pretends to know what they are talking about.

As I say in my article, you dont need to pay for a course to do the A+, just get the books study it, practice it and then book the exams and pass them.
Ok I read the article, so how do I just book the test? howmuch does that test cost, I want to attempt it?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Have you done the studying and do you have the equipment needed to do the labs.
you will need to find a test centre near you Locate a Test Center
https://certification.comptia.org/Tr...xamprices.aspx

Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Have you done the studying and do you have the equipment needed to do the labs.
you will need to find a test centre near you Locate a Test Center
https://certification.comptia.org/Tr...xamprices.aspx
I haven't done the studying I was just curious, I want to study it from 16th may for 1 month, then book test?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I think you might be pushing things a little with a month

Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

Its in the article if I remember how to book the exams.

You visit the pearsonvue or prometric website, book and pay for the two exams and take the exams at your nearest test centre where you will find out where they are on the pearsonvue or prometric website.

I am in the UK so can't comment on how much the exams are where you are but they are generally £130 + VAT each.

You can buy discount vouchers which you use to pay for the exams from CompTIA Vouchers - A+ Certification Exam CompTIA Voucher Test Discount at Prometric / VUE Testing Centers make sure you purchase the ones for your area. The website puts America and Canada first.

There is more than one exam to be A+ certified you need to pass two exams, buy the relevent editions of the books I mentioned in my article and then take some practice tests to see how you do.

Unless you have lots of experience I guarantee that one month isn't long enough, there is stuff in the A+ that you will not have been taught in school or in your degree.

ps gracetech is only valid for pearsonvue
Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerahmed2k View Post
I did computer science in my first year of uni, now I'm currently doing I.T in my 2nd year.

Information Technology | University of Hertfordshire

While I'm towards the end of my 2nd year (exams), over summer I need to do something to boost my degree, because it's going to very hard to get a job in this field.

I was looking at CompTIA A+ on this website
it-technical | CompTIA A+ - ITonlinelearning

as I can do it online, will it boost my degree and give me the slight edge when applying for certain jobs or open some career path way?

any one who can give a lost guy some advice

thanks,
Tan
Your link seems to have moved, updated it to make my response up to date.

The CompTIA A+ certification is probably the most popular certification with tech professionals, especially with support focused individuals. (As far as I am aware.)

I have actually completed this certification myself (Not the official CompTIA version.) and have found it very beneficial in my career and gaming life.

The CompTIA A+ has modules that cover OS and Networking, which makes it a good starting place. I think studying the CompTIA A+ after university is a good idea, especially if you are looking to always keep your skills current.

All the best.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_echo View Post
Your link seems to have moved, updated it to make my response up to date.

The CompTIA A+ certification is probably the most popular certification with tech professionals, especially with support focused individuals. (As far as I am aware.)

I have actually completed this certification myself (Not the official CompTIA version.) and have found it very beneficial in my career and gaming life.

The CompTIA A+ has modules that cover OS and Networking, which makes it a good starting place. I think studying the CompTIA A+ after university is a good idea, especially if you are looking to always keep your skills current.

All the best.
oh wow, I posted this in 2014. Just saw a email notification that someone responded to it and was surprised!

Fast forward to 2017. I Graduated from uni, did half my masters (then dropped out), went to several interviews for IT Support/Technician/Help desk. Got rejected from them all!
In the end, I became a Junior Web Developer.
Closed Thread