Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

What next after Helpdesk second line

This is a discussion on What next after Helpdesk second line within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi guys, I'm sure there are many out there in a similar situation as me. I am part of a

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi guys,

I'm sure there are many out there in a similar situation as me.

I am part of a small ITteam.
2 helpdesk, 2 project work and 2 managers.

Although I am not officially second line support, I will class myself as such, the company has been trying to outsource IT Support for the past 4 years.

we have a small team in Dubai who take the calls, they are able to do password resets and very simple jobs (it will take them and hour to do a 5minute job, but now I'm just ranting. sometimes they will be on the customers machine all day)

I don't see them as a threat, and I believe I have pretty good job security.

officially my title is IT Assistant and I have no qualifications, however I do have over 5 years experience supporting 15+ sites with a lot of users.

until last year, I was on 15k. until finally throwing in the towel and pretty much threatening to change roles. now I am on 17k.

I don't think I am being paid enough.
Getting a little sick of this particular company, I need a new job

do you think I would struggle with my lack of qualifications?

what job should I aim for.

im not crazy about another helpdesk job.

thankyou for taking the time to read this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

i think the issue will be there are a lot of people on the market place and so as part of the short listing process will be qualifications.

I come across this all the time, having carried out project management for 8 years contracting over the last few years, if you do not have a PM qualification you wont get past the shortlist, and now with 38 years experience, a lot of companies will not shortlist me because , i do not have a degree....

it wont be impossible - but expect to have a lot of rejections
and make sure your CV clearly shows your experience and responsibilities

Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

you should get some certifications that reflect what you do then apply for another position somewhere else. With your experience and some certs behind you, you should find a decent position that pays better either in 2nd line or 3rd line or even in a techinician post.

You should look at certs such as A+, network+, 70-680 and any others that reflect your experience level.

remember in the IT world experience counts far more than qualifications but experience + qualifications (aslong as they reflect your experience level ) is only a win win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
i think the issue will be there are a lot of people on the market place and so as part of the short listing process will be qualifications.

I come across this all the time, having carried out project management for 8 years contracting over the last few years, if you do not have a PM qualification you wont get past the shortlist, and now with 38 years experience, a lot of companies will not shortlist me because , i do not have a degree....

it wont be impossible - but expect to have a lot of rejections
and make sure your CV clearly shows your experience and responsibilities
I feared as much I was hopeful that the 5 years in the same job with the same company would bode well on my part. but it makes sense that I would not even get on the short list.

thankyou for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
you should get some certifications that reflect what you do then apply for another position somewhere else. With your experience and some certs behind you, you should find a decent position that pays better either in 2nd line or 3rd line or even in a techinician post.

You should look at certs such as A+, network+, 70-680 and any others that reflect your experience level.

remember in the IT world experience counts far more than qualifications but experience + qualifications (aslong as they reflect your experience level ) is only a win win.
thankyou for your response.

it seems that your opinion differs slightly to etaf.

I suppose it may be down to what part of the country you live in.

I will certainly consider getting some sort of qualification.

rgds
Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

I don't disagree with etaf because the job market sucks at the minute, but as I have said many times on here you could have all the qualifications or certifications in the world but without experience your going to be beaten by someone who has the experience.

You have experience use it to your advantage. Add some certs to that experience and you should not have much trouble in finding a better paid job with better prospects.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #6

we are not really disagreeing , experience will always stand out, the issue is getting past the short listing process , if its done via an agency or via an HR department , they are just looking for a tick in the box.
But someone with no experience, who has the qualifications will also have difficulty getting short listed for roles

so we are not really disagreeing

And get as many qualifications as you can along the way

I have also worked within a global financial organisations HR recruitment team (400 people recruiting for all roles globally). And in 2010 moved to a direct model of recruitment, rather than via agencies and one of the main systems they piloted licenses for was linkedin , which worked really well and made substantial savings in year on agency fees.
So make sure you have a good linkedin profile and with key words as thats how they search.
hope that helps

Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

again, thankyou both for your help.

let me know if there is a thankyou or rep system in place, you both deserve some.

for the time being I will stay where I am.

I have a month old baby boy so I cannot take the risk at the moment.

I will see about the company getting me and my colleague, on some sort of course.
they should go for it. I wouldn't mind doing some sort of course on computer security.

again, thankyou both.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

your welcome, I'm not an expert on certification, so you may want to mark this solved an post a new question asking about the types of qualifications you should be considering

also have a look at job adverts on
monster, cwjobs, jobsite and jobserve
and see what the qualifications are being asked for currently

Closed Thread