Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

What is wrong with my resume?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with my resume? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. IT professional with a good academic background PROFILE v An IT professional with a good motivation to succeed in the

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

IT professional with a good academic background

v An IT professional with a good motivation to succeed in the industry.
v Comfortable with team-work and thrives under pressure.
v Able to communicate clearly with people of diverse backgrounds and levels of authority.

EDUCATION

Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, Melbourne, Australia

v Master of Business in Information Technology (MBIT) July 2008 December 2009
v Master of Commerce (MCom) - March 2010 July 2010 (with exemptions received from my MBIT degree)

Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK

v Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSc IT) - August 2004 - June 2007

EXPERIENCE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( April 2011 present)

System/Network Administrator

Assisted in the planning, design, documentation, and implementation of various systems to include
Desktop PCs, servers, printers, network equipment, and software ERP applications

Maintained the replication of SQL server databases between different sites in order to provide maximum performance and availability for Employees.

Installed cabling ,switches, Access points and Routers

Performed key role in providing On-site and Remote Technical Support for Customers

Installed and maintained site to site VPNs.

Assisted in the organization and inventory of all hardware and software resources

Assisted the IT manager in developing and coordinating future network replacement plans.

Worked internally as a part of an Organizations IT Support Team.

TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS

Operating Systems:Windows 2000//XP/7/NT/Vista/Windows Server 2012

Software Applications: MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access), Adobe Photoshop , ERP software Active Directory, Exchange Server, Teamviewer, Vmware player.

Networking:LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, VPN, PBX, Routers, Switches, CAT 5E,Cat 6, DNS, DHCP, Port forwarding, QOS, Ping, Tracert etc

Languages:- XHTML, CSS, Javascript.

REFERENCES
Will be provided on request.

What is the problem with this cv? Thats what I want to know from all the pros here. I have been applying for system administration jobs but not getting any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

i do not know what your country is like for jobs currently
BUT as a general guidance

1) applications will be recieved from 100s of people for 1 job and so your CV needs to stand out from the rest
2) In the profile have something about our achievements, areas worked , anything which makes the reader want to continue to read the rest of the CV
3) look into keywords - a lot of CVs will be scanned for keywords against a job specification and often by people in HR or an agency who know nothing about the technical aspect.

As i say, I do not know the format preferred in your country - see if you can find some example cvs on the web. Also look at some job descriptions and generate a generic CV for ad-hoc enquirers
Then you need to tailor your CVto match the specific job advert you are applying for

There are quite a few good CV sites with examples in the UK - I would expect the same for your country

The sort of general idea is

Profile - Good strong profile , inviting people to read more
Key Skills
Achievements
Education and professional qualifications and sector specific training awards
Job History - level worked at, responsibilities held.
general information -

ensure keywords are included

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
i do not know what your country is like for jobs currently
BUT as a general guidance

1) applications will be recieved from 100s of people for 1 job and so your CV needs to stand out from the rest
2) In the profile have something about our achievements, areas worked , anything which makes the reader want to continue to read the rest of the CV
3) look into keywords - a lot of CVs will be scanned for keywords against a job specification and often by people in HR or an agency who know nothing about the technical aspect.

As i say, I do not know the format preferred in your country - see if you can find some example cvs on the web. Also look at some job descriptions and generate a generic CV for ad-hoc enquirers
Then you need to tailor your CVto match the specific job advert you are applying for

There are quite a few good CV sites with examples in the UK - I would expect the same for your country

The sort of general idea is

Profile - Good strong profile , inviting people to read more
Key Skills
Achievements
Education and professional qualifications and sector specific training awards
Job History - level worked at, responsibilities held.
general information -

ensure keywords are included

by keywords you are basically talking about certs...atleast thats the keyword in these parts. I havent taken any certs yet because people go on and on about experience in this saturated industry. but now maybe i should consider doing mcsa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I notice several inconsistencies:

- You capitalize some words (Desktop, Access, Routing, On-site, etc.) that ought not be capitalized.
- You've got spaces before some commas and/or no spaces after some commas ("cabling ,switches"; "Photoshop , ERP", "CAT 5E,Cat 6").
- You've got incorrect capitalization for "Vmware player" (VMware Player) and inconsistent capitalization between "CAT 5E" and "Cat 6".
- You've got periods at the end of some bullet statements but no periods on others.
- You've got two slashes between 2000 and XP.
- You've got no comma between ERP software and Active Directory.
- You've got no space after two colons and a dash after one (both incorrect).

These inconsistencies are minor to some people but deal-breakers to others. As mentioned earlier, you should get certified on technologies you have experience using.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking

Quote:
by keywords you are basically talking about certs
no necessarily
if a job spec requires mentoring or coaching, then those words maybe search for
or managing budgets
As mentioned the language and layout is important , I had a contract with one company and later worked for the hiring manager who used to be a proof reader and on any documentation would go through with a red pen and highlight all the items mentioned by BosonMichael including things like a space and then a full stop
fortunately my CV had been proof read by quite a few people and all those sort of things removed, as I am 100% certain , he would have not called me in for interview , if he had found errors like that on my CV

also try an find areas of responsibility , you have a lot of assisted with.
Who did you report to ?
some of the systems you worked on - or Experience of a Service Desk Management systems e.g. Remedy, HEAT or ITSM
any ITIL experience or worked in the framework of ITIL

involved in things like service catalogue

I'm not in this area, but these are just a few things , i have picked up

do a job search for any position globally for a System/Network Administrator and look at the requirements , see if you can include those sort of things onto a CV

as you have little job experience - what did you do before 2011
can you add any transferable skills in
like coached a football team
worked on anything at uni

2004 - 2007 - at uni - jobs ? anything you can include shows responsibility, achievement, competitive nature , goal orientated
even before 2004 - what did you do

June 2007- July 2008 - what did you do ?
July 2010 - April 2011 - what did you do?

need to explain gaps

have a look on linkedin see what you can find of other people in similar roles ,also a good place to look at jobs

Closed Thread