Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

WGU BS IT Degrees

This is a discussion on WGU BS IT Degrees within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi and thank you for reading this. I was hoping someone could help me answer a question. Which degree from

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi and thank you for reading this. I was hoping someone could help me answer a question. Which degree from WGU is best suited for someone interested in pursuing a career as a network administrator?

Would it be the BS in IT or the BS in IT-Network Administration. I know the answer seems obvious but when looking at the two degrees on WGU's website it appears that the BS in IT provides everything the Network Admin degree provides and more. So I take it as the BS in IT would be best but was curious if anyone here has a more educated opinion on the matter. Thanks. Here is a link to the Degrees information page:

Online Degrees | WGU's Accredited Online Bachelor Degree Programs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You don't need a degree to become a network administrator; you need experience to become a network administrator. A degree alone will not qualify you to do network administration.

A degree is typically required for IT supervisory and management roles, not network admin roles. That said, if you're dead set on pursuing a degree, the IT - Network Administration degree seems to be more focused on network administration. The IT degree does indeed cover a larger variety of subjects, but is less focused on networking.

Ultimately, the degree you pursue doesn't matter a great deal. My BS is in Chemistry and it hasn't hurt me one bit.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WGU BS IT Degrees
Hi I am new to the forums and was hoping someone could help me answer a question. Which degree from WGU is best suited for someone interested in pursuing a career as a network administrator? Would it be the BS in IT or the BS in IT-Network Administration. I know the answer seems obvious but when...
antimatter1990 Introductions 5 07-25-2014 07:22 AM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Computer Suttering/Slowing/Crashing Under Stress
Brace for lots of information (and some questions throughout): My computer has been running completely fine for the past 2 months or so since I built it, but I've recently been having problems with it while gaming (while the computer is under stress). Sometimes games would crash with looping...
silentfox618 Video Card Support 3 03-25-2013 06:20 AM
8800gt goes up to 105 degrees!!!
hey i got this sparkle 8800gt with 512 mb of gddr3. when i play games such as: fallout new vegas and call of duty 2 it runs up to a water-boiling 105 degrees. is this normal? i turned my fan speed up a bit but it doesn't do as much as i hoped. i also placed another fan next to it. that helps...
metaldemon Video Card Support 36 08-20-2011 10:30 AM
Really Really thinking about WGU for Bachelors in Network Admin
The more I look at WGU vs. EWU at BC. It seems like the EWU at BC program is more towards engineering, which is not what i want to do. I would rather work with networks including switches and routers as well as doing desktop support. My main question is: Those of you who have graduated from WGU...
Armymanis Certification & Career 8 05-25-2011 08:59 AM