Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Western Governors Uni Advice?

This is a discussion on Western Governors Uni Advice? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK, so I have been looking at online colleges to get my Bachelors degree. As of May 2016 I will

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

OK, so I have been looking at online colleges to get my Bachelors degree. As of May 2016 I will have my A.A.S. in Software Engineering and have been thinking about going and getting my Bachelors.
I was thinking about Devry but I am unsure how well they would be conceived on a resume and that kind of thing. Plus they are hella expensive. So after searching and searching I came across WGU; I'm not much of a programmer (kind of a long story WHY I chose this major at the community college, but that is besides the point. Continuing on, as I looked around their website, I became interested in their Network Administration degree. I talked to the lady on the online chat that was up there. I seen that they give you like 6 certification tests as part of your class to pass. You must pass the cert test to pass the class. This, finally, leads me to my question; is it really worth getting my bachelors degree from there if it is based online on certification and BS filler classes (physics and such)? I could do that without the college, I just wouldn't have my bachelors degree. This also leads me to my second question (she said I would have to ask an admissions counselor to get the answer...I'm not about to have my phone blown up by them...the internet is far more accurate in cases like this a lot of times, do you actually get lectures and instruction in those classes where you take the certification tests -- or do they just send you a book and tell you good luck? How does this all work?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Our resident IT career expert here generally recommends certifications over degrees. There is a lot of "fluff" in a bachelors that you don't really need per se to get a job. Though things like Psychology, Sociology, Western Civilization, etc. may make your education more rounded overall, they aren't going to do teach you per se how to install and manage a computer network. Back when 12 hours of tuition was $500 a semester total this didn't matter so much but now that a 3-hour course costs $1000 it simply doesn't make sense to take courses that are not going to help you in your career and just put you further into debt.

Physics, however, probably will help you -- it's nice to know the theory behind why those electrons are doing what they do.

That said, some agencies and organizations require a bachelors. I'd suggest that you look at job listings for the type of job you would like and see what the degree requirements are.

Although it's going to change someday, I still think employers are leery of online universities. There are too many of them that are not much more than diploma mills. Courses at an actual college will give you access to labs too. For example, I picked up an electronics degree a few years back. It's one thing to read about how operate testing equipment, de-solder and re-solder components, wire networks, etc. and to actually do them.

Some universities are known for high quality education and it pays to attend them if you are wanting a degree in a certain field. For instance, I got my allied health degree from a well-respected medical school rather than a community college. When I went looking for a job the employers were sort of hmm..., until they saw where I'd graduated from, then it was "when can you start?"
Old 10-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your advise. Western Governors University isn't a degree mill though. It's a non-profit university lol. When you take your tests you have to go to a testing center or use the webcam that they send to you where you are watched and that link of thing. It's not a for-profit college like Devry. Just tossing that out there haha.

I'm not really sure what kind of job I want honestly. I HATE programming which is my major now. I'll probably dislike every job I ever get haha. I could be wrong. I am doing a work study now as an assistant computer tech and it's not too bad, some days I have nothing to do, other days what I need to do is over my head, but I manage you know? I like it, it's alright. If I got paid more than 8$ an hour I'd be happy, but again it's not full time...I digress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Onlinedegrees.org rates WGU 7.4/10, which is better than average. It also is accredited by the same commission that accredits the University of Oregon. You may, however, be able to get more education for less cost at a land-based university or community college. Of course, you have to factor in the cost or travel and housing too.

As to the quality of education, I suppose that it's like any university in that you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. I've had some gen-ed students that I'm pretty sure forgot everything I taught them the day after they turned in their final exam.

With the high cost of education though you really need to be somewhat sure of the path you want to take, unless you have money to burn or are willing to spend a lot of time working low-paying jobs figuring it out while you dabble in school. I actually sort of did the latter, though I did have a general theme too (life sciences).
Old 10-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

I recommend WGU I attend there and they are thorough with their system. I am doing a IT management BS and it worked for me because they used my A+ for credits and transfered most of my credits I had at another school for Business Management.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First off: DeVry is well respected. Especially the one campus they have in Canada, they're the top university in Alberta. One reason DeVry is great is they have one of the best online degree systems in the world.

Second: College will often get you practical knowledge and often will include certificates like A+, and some programming skills. All of which are useful for employers. If at all possible, try to get a combined Diploma/Degree program that offers a certification within.
Usually you don't really need a Bachelor's, you can get away with work experience and combined education from college and certifications.

If you can get a school that offers online and in-class work, then you're golden.
Closed Thread