Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Well paying Career in IT Security

This is a discussion on Well paying Career in IT Security within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi I am currently pursuing Bsc. IT. I am working as a hardware and networking engineer. I want to build

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi I am currently pursuing Bsc. IT. I am working as a hardware and networking engineer. I want to build my career in IT security field which will pay well. need guidance which course and from where should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Passing a course does not mean you are automatically entitled to a better pay grade or a better job.

Working in IT security does pay well but you can't just walk into it, you have to progress to that level.

certifications are designed to backup your experience level.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Do you have any network and/or desktop security experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

well i have done Hardware and Networking. have done courses of CCNA, Server 2008, Linux 5.3. and currently working as Hardware and networking Engineer in private firm. pursuing Bsc. IT. and next year planned to do Certified information security consultant from a institute.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I'm not asking you what courses you've taken. What actual things have you laid your hands on and done in a business environment (not a home or school lab) with regards to network and security administration? Anti-malware administration, malware removal, router and switch administration, firewall administration, IPS/IDS administration, Web content filtering, e-mail scrubbing, encrypted tunnels for branch offices or remote employees, traffic sniffing and analysis, creation of security policies and procedures, business continuity, disaster recovery, PKI administration, HIPAA, SOX, anything?

The reason I ask is because the more things you DO, the more you steer your career towards IT security. You don't complete a degree or a bunch of courses and BAM! you're magically in IT security. No employer is going to hire someone without ANY IT security experience to get a job doing nothing but IT security. Would you choose a doctor to do heart surgery on you if he had never done ANY surgery, but had taken a bunch of classes? Neither would I.

So... what you need to do is to start picking up experience in the areas I mentioned, above. You might only be able to do malware stuff at the moment. That's OK. Use the experience you gain to get a better job with more of those responsibilities.

Most people progress up the IT career ladder the following way: they start out in an entry-level job doing help desk, desktop administration, or PC repair. Eventually, they're given an opportunity to work in a domain environment where you can start to pick up some server admin experience. As a server admin, it's much easier to get some real network administration experience... and as a network admin, it's much easier to get some real security administration experience.

This is the path you want to walk. Certify on what you have experience doing. The certifications will back up the experience you already have... and will give employers incentive to hire you for a position higher up the IT career ladder.

One step at a time. :)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

yes sir,
currently i am working as hardware and networking engineer. i have been familiar of hands on practices of antivirus installation, hardware repairing, working with security policies, remote access, networking related issues, outlook configuration, software installation. since i am a fresher i am gaining knowledge now.
Closed Thread