Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Website Creation Career Switch

This is a discussion on Website Creation Career Switch within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was hoping someone could offer some advice. I am out of work, and have been for a while and

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I am out of work, and have been for a while and I am losing hope, motivation and getting depressed.

My thoughts are, September is the time when either local colleges, or the open university in the UK start their yearly courses.

My thoughts of possibly switching career paths is possibly into website creation.

If this is not a pie in the sky dream. Then could someone please offer some suggestions on a good course that could get you employed in this.

And/or if there is one language I should try to find a course on.

From googling suggestions seem to be to find somewhere offering Javascript courses but I am struggling to find anything.

Courses I do see mentioned inside my local colleges prospectus. The wording in their descriptions leaves me with little confidence that at the end I will achieve something worthwhile as many courses seem to be geared towards getting you in the classroom and thinking you are gaining something but at the end when your pass/graduate you find its not enough to gain employment in that area.

So any tips please.

I am too old to do a degree in website creation. I also have a degree in Chemistry so don't think its practical to go back for another three years and another £15,000 debt.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You don't need a degree (or even a college class) to learn how to create websites. All you need is motivation, an Internet connection, and time.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
You don't need a degree (or even a college class) to learn how to create websites. All you need is motivation, an Internet connection, and time.
And I need to know a particular coding language.

There is HTML5, PHP, Javascript, CSS and probably many more I haven't heard of.

I guess I could do a jack of all trades but master of none.

Or I could concentrate on one of the languages. But I am not sure which.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1uk View Post
And I need to know a particular coding language.

There is HTML5, PHP, Javascript, CSS and probably many more I haven't heard of.

I guess I could do a jack of all trades but master of none.

Or I could concentrate on one of the languages. But I am not sure which.
I'm not a coder, so I can't help you there. I don't know which languages are in demand.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #5
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1uk View Post
And I need to know a particular coding language. There is HTML5, PHP, Javascript, CSS and probably many more I haven't heard of. I guess I could do a jack of all trades but master of none. Or I could concentrate on one of the languages. But I am not sure which.
Each serves a different role so you'd need to learn them all. Here is a mini-guide I have made for you:

--------

HTML: The code behind all websites, you'd need to know this first and foremost.

CSS: The code which defines the styling of the webpage. This is where you change how it looks and is a key part of website design.

JavaScript: The client-side scripting language. This is what you use to make pages react to events (such as OnClick and OnHover). I recommend learning this and JQuery (which is a JavaScript framework which makes it a lot easier to create a dynamic website).

PHP & ASP.net: The server-side scripting languages. These are used in the background but are key to making a website with advanced functionality. A big part of using a server-side scripting language is that you can access a database and pull data from it which allows you to dynamically generate pages. This is what the likes of Content Management Systems (CMS) use. I personally prefer PHP out of the two as that is what I learnt when I started many years ago.

--------

As you can see, each language plays a part in the way a website works so I would recommend you start off with HTML and CSS (ignore HTML5 for now), then learn about JavaScript (the basics such as validation) and PHP, and finally learn about JQuery.

Good luck :)
- Redeye -

Closed Thread