Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Want to Get My Bachelor

This is a discussion on Want to Get My Bachelor within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Next year, after three years at the local community college, I will be graduating with my A.A.S. in Software Engineering...let

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Next year, after three years at the local community college, I will be graduating with my A.A.S. in Software Engineering...let me just say this: I HATE IT! I knew I would before I started but it's what they offered and I figured it would be a good start. So, here I am with a 3.3 GPA.

I get decent grades, obviously, but let me just say, I am TERRIBLE at math. AWFUL! I have to work twice as hard as most people to even get a passing grade. My goal was to be able to get a job installing computers, building them, updating them, fixing them, setting up servers, things of that nature. I realize you can get certified, but every time I find something online I'm not qualified. They want Masters, Bachelors, or 25 years of work experience in the field to be considered. So, my next step is to get the bachelor, and maybe get a decent paying job an hour away outside of the hills of WV, in Pittsburgh.

I have issues at home that enable myself to not be able to live on campus anywhere since I am a caregiver. Not getting into that. This lead me to check out Devry. What would be a good program that doesn't require a ton of maths in the IT field, or programming? I realize I will probably have to compromise especially after looking over the course contents haha...perhaps there is a better, more affordable college you guys know about? Anyone have any tips, ideas, anything?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, I recommend getting your A + CompTIA A+ Certification
Another might be Security plus Security certification, CompTIA Security+ certification as Networking Network certification, CompTIA Network+ certification can involve subnetting and some binary, you would also benefit from doing some actual hands on work, possibly via volunteering with some group,church or other organization. Mike Myers has some books on the subjects Total Seminars - Mike Meyers CompTIA Video Training Those are just some suggestions for you to consider.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

I see they have IT Fundamentals; which is below those you listed, but also not very expensive...probably would be a good first test to at least see what it is about...what would be their study material? I don't see any on amazon except for Strata which expires in August of this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, sorry I did not receive a notification of your post, the A+ does IT Essentials as a part of the course, and would be best IMO, it contains enough to cover anything in the fundamentals course so spending cash on it would be a waste of your time and money.
Have a look at this https://www.cisco.com/web/learning/ne...sco_ITE_DS.pdf

Old 02-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You don't need a college degree to get an entry-level IT job. A college degree will help you later in your career to get jobs (typically supervisory or management) that would otherwise be unavailable to you.

Certifications can help give you an edge over your competition, but neither degrees nor certification are valid substitutes for experience. So if a job listing says that experience is required, the employer will likely hold out for an experienced tech. Now, if it says that experience is desired, then you stand a chance if nobody with real-world IT experience applies (or those experienced techs have unreasonable salary expectations).

I would recommend that you pursue A+, then Network+. You don't need classes for them... all you need is a good study guide. And I wouldn't recommend that you wait until you're certified to start looking for a job... start looking as soon as possible. When you get a certification, add it to your resume and keep looking.

Hope this helps. :)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry for the late response, life has been hectic haha. Anyway, I got the A+ Mike Myers book a while back. Is there one that would be more desirable? I mean that's like 900 pages(maybe less, not sure, perhaps more?) of content to try to memorize haha.

What are entry level IT jobs that typically do not require experience? I mean I have some experience from things that I have done for local people around this small town, things I've done for school, etc. But, I wouldn't mind maybe a couple hours a week of additional to add to my resume. What would I even begin searching for?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I think this explains it reasonably Entry Level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe9112 View Post
Sorry for the late response, life has been hectic haha. Anyway, I got the A+ Mike Myers book a while back. Is there one that would be more desirable? I mean that's like 900 pages(maybe less, not sure, perhaps more?) of content to try to memorize haha.
Mike Meyers' All-in-One 8th Edition is what you need. And it's not just about memorization and regurgitation... you need to understand the concepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe9112 View Post
What are entry level IT jobs that typically do not require experience?
Things like help desk tech, PC repair tech, field service tech, first line tech, desktop support tech. But keep in mind that just because a position has these descriptions, it's not always an entry-level job. Nor are entry-level jobs restricted to only those positions. Always refer to the employer's requirements on the job posting.
Closed Thread