Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Want to be self employed PC seller and repairer

This is a discussion on Want to be self employed PC seller and repairer within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not sure this is the right place to ask my questions? I have searched Microsoft Licensing FAQ and

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am not sure this is the right place to ask my questions?

I have searched Microsoft Licensing FAQ and I am still unsure about licensing PCs.

I want to repair / build and sell computers at home as a business

I will re install windows o/s on newly built computers and install new operating system software from say Vista to windows 7. maybe some windows o/s upgrades as well.

( 1 ) What Microsoft windows license / software media do I need to install on computers I build and sell?

( 2) What Microsoft windows license do I need if I upgrade a pc from say vista to windows 7 on a repaired computer?

( 3 ) What Microsoft windows license do I need if I have a computer with a vista license and I want to install a windows 7 full install on it, not an upgrade?

( 4 ) What Microsoft windows license can I install on a computer that a consumer brings to me that dont have any Microsoft license sticker on it, and they want me to install windows vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1

If you can think of any other information I would need to know about licensing a computer with Microsoft Licenses please feel free to add to my questions / answers

I did sign up with Microsoft as a Microsoft Refurbisher Program member as a commercial refurbisher reseller and I want to make sure I do the licensing correctly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You're halfway there. Next go to this site: Microsoft OEM Partner Center and become part of the MS Partner Network.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Troubled

Connect with other working professionals and use them as mentors. Not sure that you can educate yourself into making money. I'd advise the other route, which is start posting ads on craigslist and get your hands on some broken equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Yep, OEM licenses are what you're looking for.

Do you have a lot of experience building and repairing PCs?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have been repairing computers on and off for about 10 years, but, I dont know much, and will always be willing to learn.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

I joined the Microsoft OEM Partner Network......and I see many things I could learn, and the site was a little confusing. Maybe people could describe the different options I have with becoming a Microsoft partner, and tools I can use to setup computers. And maybe walk me through some of it over the phone if anyone has time.

I have one question for now.

( 1 ) How do I figure out how to create system images or factory images on computers that I re install or install Windows Vista /7 / 8 / 8.1 on.

( 2 ) In regards to the EULA that is displayed when a customer first turns their computer on. Where do I purchase the dvd or download the software for the EULA program, so I can install it on computers I repair and sell that I install windows o/s on.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Have you done any course IE A+ network + or Microsoft I may be slightly off here, but don't you need certification in the USA.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

No, I dont have a certifications. I dont think I need a certificate to repair computers at home as a hobby. Although more training would be nice. I am 50 years old and I am on disability income so i dont have money to go to school.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You could study A + at home https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/007179512X then sit the exam
Mike Meyers explains CompTIA A+ Certification Exam - YouTube

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Oh, and age has nothing to do with it I am older than you and did mine in 4 months just recently, but I had a classroom situation which was more my type of studying not everyone needs that.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks for all your input and help.

I watch the Video here and I will now go to Tech-Vets and watch their videos and get more experience with computers.

I will also will check out CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) on Amazon and purchase one when I can.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Troubled

Start volunteering to fix computers for friends & family. Post ads on craigslist offering to do the work cheap. IMO theory is meaningless unless you have something to apply it to, right in front of you. I almost never look down at a broken computer and remember something from a book or video I watched. Actually, most of the time the thing that saves me (and the computer) is remembering something I read on an online forum like this one.

Posting in threads helping people to fix their computers right here will help your development, and you'll be dealing with current, real life problems instead of theoretical or outdated issues that may not even occur anymore.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Professor Messer has a set of online videos that you can watch for free to help prepare for the A+ exam. They don't completely replace a study guide if you're starting from scratch, but if you already have a good base, then I've found that the videos can answer those odd questions that you my not be sure of.

Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-801/802 A+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training
Old 06-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGoodrich View Post
Start volunteering to fix computers for friends & family. Post ads on craigslist offering to do the work cheap. IMO theory is meaningless unless you have something to apply it to, right in front of you. I almost never look down at a broken computer and remember something from a book or video I watched. Actually, most of the time the thing that saves me (and the computer) is remembering something I read on an online forum like this one.

Posting in threads helping people to fix their computers right here will help your development, and you'll be dealing with current, real life problems instead of theoretical or outdated issues that may not even occur anymore.
I have ads on the internet to repair computers. I also live in a building with 128 apartments and I advertise on the bulletin board for repair and to sell computers. The videos I was watching also on you tube were about troubleshooting and removing viruses. I was surprised how much I already knew about removing viruses. Everything I know I learned mostly hands on over the last ten years. I will look around the computer forums on craigslist and try to get more knowledge and help others as well and promote what I do know.

Thanks for your support and input / help
Old 06-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphyn View Post
Professor Messer has a set of online videos that you can watch for free to help prepare for the A+ exam. They don't completely replace a study guide if you're starting from scratch, but if you already have a good base, then I've found that the videos can answer those odd questions that you my not be sure of.

Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-801/802 A+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training
I just started watch Eli the computer guy on youtube also. But, I will check out professor messer as well. Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #16
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestpaul View Post
I have ads on the internet to repair computers. I also live in a building with 128 apartments and I advertise on the bulletin board for repair and to sell computers.
Define "internet". When I said craigslist I meant that specifically. To my knowledge, there isn't any other free online advertising besides maybe backpage but that's mostly (at least where I live) for sex trade and maybe some drugs.

Some people don't know what craigsllst is, and fail to recognize it's brand for what it means, which is something very specific. So when I say craigslist and you say "internet", I have to ask if you know exactly what CL is and if you are on it, or somewhere else, and if case "B" why are you NOT on CL.

Advertising in the physical locality (apartment) is okay, but what those repairs are REALLY good for is personal references. You should be maintaining a list of emails of your former customers and sending them an email once a month to keep your name and occupation fresh.

Also facebook is a must-have. And a website. Do you have a website?

If you can get a physical location with a legit, Google-verifiable address, you can really, REALLY get some traffic as optimizing for local search is long and tedious, but simple and easy. Many business owners fail to put the time and effort into it, which gives you an edge as the local results are competitive. I'm a bit of an expert on local search and can really help you in that area if you want, but having a Google-verified address is a must-have. There's no point in doing local seo without one.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
Registered Member

I do advertise in the computer section on craigslist for my city. I also did a google search for classifieds ads online in my city and found 4 classifieds websites. I also advertise online with my local newspaper both online and in the paper

I do have facebook and a business website connected to my account on there.

I need to start getting email addresses and phone number of people I deal with to check up on repairs and sales on computers.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

Not sure where to post questions about Microsoft windows 7 home premium 32 bit 3 pack that I just purchased through a Microsoft distributor and received in the mail today.

There is a Pre installation DVD disc for Microsoft Refurbishers included, but no instruction on how to use the disc!! And it takes for ever to get responses in emails from the Microsoft Refurbisher Program Staff.

Can anyone help or suggest a different forum?

Or is anyone on here in The Microsoft Refurbisher Program?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi not sure if this is what you,re talking about, but it may be worth checking it out.
Windows 7 OEM Preinstallation Kit Training
Windows 7 OPK
How To: Install The Windows 7 OPK OEM Preinstallation Kit

Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
Registered Member

I think the disc I received Windows 7 OEM Preinstallation Kit disc, is if I want to learn how to create a window 7 automated dvd to install windows 7 for which ever version I create the dvd to be.

I received 3 Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit service pack 1 dvd disc also with the 3 pack as mentioned above, and 3 Windows 7 Home Premium Refurbisher COAs.........I know I have to go to Microsofts Portal to get the product key codes for these COAs because they dont have product keys on the stickers.

Question: Can I skip using the OEM Preinstallation Disc for refurbishers and use the disc and license above to install on 3 computers......and then create automated dvd disc later when I figure out how to create the automated dvd for windows 7 home premium or what ever version of 7 I want to create the dvd for?

Does anyone have a toll free direct phone number to contact someone who can better guide me through using the OEM Pre Installation Kit DVD disc.

Question 2: What do I get or how do I create the EULA that will show on a customers computer after I sell it to them? Is that on the OEM Pre Installation Kit DVD Disc?

Can I use a windows 8.1 computer also to create the automated windows 7 dvd disc? I dont have any windows 7 computers, unless I wipe 8 and use one of the above OEM windows 7 Home premium dvd disc and license that came with the 3 pack that I just purchased?

So, many questions.......I didnt think buying OEM Windows 7 Media and License would be so difficult.........
Closed Thread