Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Value of Cert's? Getting back more into IT

This is a discussion on Value of Cert's? Getting back more into IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I started a career in IT about 20 years ago with a computer science degree. I worked in various

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I started a career in IT about 20 years ago with a computer science degree. I worked in various startups but the last 10-12 years I've only peripherally done IT work. I currently have a freelance gig that sometimes includes such work--i.e., I just set up a Mac Lab. So, some of my skills are stale, some are a little more polished.

My question is, if I want to start getting back into IT more, how valuable do employers view certifications today? When I started 20 years ago, they didn't really exist.

Thanks!
EF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Certs are designed to backup your experience level. If you certify to your experience level then certs are looked on with good favour. But if you certify beyond your experience level then you would have issues.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

GBL is spot on. Certifications should reflect your experience level. Employers no longer hire solely on the basis of certification alone. Certification PLUS experience, however, is looked upon favorably by many employers. Still, some employers couldn't care less about certification.

Is it worth doing? Yep, absolutely, provided you also have the experience. Anything that sets yourself ahead of the competition is worth doing.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pressing The back button causes a blank page
Hello, I am having a problem with my firefox browser. When i use google and search for something and a list of answer come up and I press on one of the option then if I press the back key to return to google with the list of "answers" for my search term I instead get a blank page with no...
godfather17 Mozilla/Firefox Browsers 6 10-11-2013 06:43 AM
technique to get connector back on SATA drive?
Moving my PC into a new case today and I got careless and jerked the plastic connector housing off the back of my WD 2TB SATA hard drive. All those pins... how on earth to get this connector housing back on? Otherwise the HD is fine and is my system drive so I'd really like to get it back...
Raylo Hard Drive Support 9 10-09-2013 01:31 PM
Problems with Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
To describe the problem I'm having, I'll just go over my experiences. While playing games, everything will freeze for a few seconds, then the screen will go black, and then everything comes back. I've noticed this in Alice Madness Returns as well as Warcraft 3 (yes, 3... not WoW). In...
vertigoelectric Video Card Support 90 02-29-2012 12:50 PM
Google searches are redirected back to google. I don't think it's a virus.
So, when I attempt to use Google to search for something either by way of the search bar in firefox, google.com, or google.com/ig, I have to open my links in a new tab because if I click them I will be redirected back to google.com. A few notes: I cannot use the back button to go back to my...
haxxed Mozilla/Firefox Browsers 6 12-27-2011 12:00 PM
Unwanted entries in IE9 back button list
Hi there, I have just tried the latest IE9 final. But I'm having problem with the back button. In certain website for example engadget.com, I have to press back button more than once just to go back. Inside the back button list, there is weird entry eg. cdn.at.atwola.com. This is kind of...
digitheatre Internet Explorer & Edge Forum 1 03-17-2011 04:37 AM