Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Unix/Linux System Administration

This is a discussion on Unix/Linux System Administration within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi my friends, I have a computer science background, with a BS degree. But it has been awhile and I

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi my friends,
I have a computer science background, with a BS degree. But it has been awhile and I am very rusty. I am interested in becoming a UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator. Can someone please help me on what certifications should I do to make my resume attractive to employers? Also, do I have to to do some networking certifications too? I live in San Francisco Bay Area, and I am also considering moving to Seattle. So, I was wondering if Unix/Linux System Administration could get me a job in those places. I will really appreciate your helpful guidance.

Thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

https://www.networkworld.com/article...sysadmin-.html

https://training.linuxfoundation.org...linux-training

?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You might not get Sysadmin jobs as those are somewhat more difficult to come by - instead look for backends in general run by Linux, you'll probably find a lot of scripting jobs.

You having a ComSci degree will help you tremendously here.

I'd strongly recommend certification in Linux+ to get you started. That alone is probably good enough.

If you want to go the administrative route then I'd also recommend brushing up on your ASP and PHP, one way you can do that is through their training courses where they have some simple tutorials to get you started, as well as certification. I myself have used them to study and certify for .XML development and I found them invaluable.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saying no audio device, drivers are working properly?
I have Winxp, all service packs, and Sound Blaster Audigy. I have tried what I am assuming is every solution I have found in short of reinstalling XP. Making sure the right devices are started in services, un-installing/re-installing/updating drivers, and so on. One thing it probably could be is...
lsdeimos Windows XP Support 9 01-19-2014 10:46 AM
random blue screen crash
hello i seem to have a graphics card issue and i am not sure how to fix it what happens is the computer will blue screen at any random time and it will say dumping physical memory to disk and will load till it gets to 100% and then i ususly shut it off as it will stay at that screen if i do...
pandasniper100 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 12-08-2013 07:32 AM
Video and Sound lag in full screen videos + 0x116 BSODs
Hello guys... So I have recently formatted my computer and whenever I play a video on fullscreen, the video will lag a lot and the sound will be buggy and cracky.... Also, for example, I am playing Assassin's Creed II at the moment and this also happens in the cut scenes... This has all happened...
rudy_eila BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 28 09-01-2011 02:49 AM
Sound distortions and bad sound quality, but only ingame
Hello, In five out of ten games I play I get crackling sound distortions and overall bad quality. The weird thing is that this does not happen in all games, and never in video's or MP3 playback. I have installed all the drivers from your website, installed the latest DirectX and DirectX 9.0c,...
Mastermind- PC Gaming Support 29 08-04-2011 02:12 PM
Blue Screen - EpicSight
I've been having blue screens for a long time now. Ever since I did a lot of hardware upgrades, they have been constant. Also, ontop of the blue screens, my internet will randomly go out. A message pops up while troubleshooting that goes something like "Problems with (something) gateway closed". I...
EpicSight BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 39 07-13-2011 05:08 PM