Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

UK: To Tech Support then System Administrator

This is a discussion on UK: To Tech Support then System Administrator within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am a 21 years old high school graduate with 2 years experience as a waiter, romanian nationality with

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am a 21 years old high school graduate with 2 years experience as a waiter, romanian nationality with hungarian ID and passport.
I'd like to build a career in IT in UK, so far I have a diploma as Computer Operator (basic computing and Microsoft Office), experience repairing computers, setting up and troubleshooting routers.

I am planning to get certificates in the following order:
A+ > MSCA Server 2008,2012, VMWare Network
*N+ > Cisco Switching & Routing > Later on:RHCA (if needed) > S+
MSCE,RHCE,CCNE,CAr etc.....

1. Should I modify the order of certificates?
2. What is the REAL (job requirements are exaggerated to limit applications as I understand) requirements for an entry help desk job?
3. In which city is bigger requirement for support technicians?
4. Is college required for System/Network Administrator position or experience as Tech Support and certificates suffice?
5. If not, a degree in Automation is accepted in UK by recruiters ( has less programming and more networking than Computer Science, of course validated trough NARC) or an Open Online University degree is recognised?
5.* Do I need a Cambridge language certificate to attest my level of english communication?
6.What are the differences between Help Desk Support Tehnician/Engineer, Service Desk Support, and are there any more classifications? Which one are entry level, which is a steping stone to Sys Admin?
7. Working in an IT Service can be a steping stone to Sys Admin?
Any other advices are welcome.
Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate.

I can answer some of your questions:

1. If you want to be a server admin, i'd probably certify in an entry level Microsoft certification and read both entry level certification tracks for something in VMware and networking, as a start. Having lots of certificates is great, but you need to be able to back that up with experience.

2. For entry level, I would be looking primarily for someone with a good attitude and willingness to learn.

3. This site will give you the information you need: IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Job Market

4. Nope, no college required :) To be a sys/network admin, you need experience above anything else. You may not hold a CCNA or MCSE, but if you can explain STP and OU's in the interview, that's what counts.

5. I don't know, sorry. This link from UK Visas/Immigration might get you in the right direction though: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration

6. Probably not a lot of difference. I think Trainee <job title> would probably get you quite a few hits on google.

7. It certainly can!

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Closed Thread