Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

The Path to Networking Jobs.

This is a discussion on The Path to Networking Jobs. within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am currently taking classes at a local community college. Im pursuing a degree ASA Networking. Im enrolled in the

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am currently taking classes at a local community college. Im pursuing a degree ASA Networking. Im enrolled in the Cisco network academy. There is so much information been thrown at me I dont know if I am retaining it all. I feel very comfortable with configuring routers and switches but dont feel comfortable with the the hardware and software of the computer quite yet. Should I be conserned about this. Is there certain things that I should be paying more attention to than others. Is there much on the job training with networking? Also are there entry level jobs that would potentially lead me to be a network administrator one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

First off all forget all the BS your being told in classes about getting a network admin job.

No one walks into a network admin position without prior experience of being involved in lower level positions of doing basic tech work and positions like 1st,2nd and 3rd line support.

Secondly certifications such as the CCNA are designed to backup your experience level, they are designed to show that you have experience of managing and supporting CISCO devices in a real job not that you can do it in a lab or at home. Getting certifications beyond your experience level can do more harm than good.

No network manager in the right mind will hire someone with no experience to work on their network, they can't afford the down time and inexperienced person can cause.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

So there are no jobs that would be an entry level for that? Is a network analyst an entry level job. Where did you start out? How did you gain experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

entry level jobs mean you have no experience generally these are labelled as 1st line support or entry level 1st line support or trainee tech or technical support.

Many companies use lots of different titles but if you really want to be a network admin, first you need experience as a tech that gets to do work with networks and usually to get to that you need do basic tech work first which could involve setting up computers and general problem solving which could include users asking you why there computer isn't working and you have to tell them to press the on button.

You gain experience by sticking in, so say you get a job where your doing general tech work. Keep asking for more hours or volunteering and make sure the employer sees your interested in networks so start studying networking and do something like compTIA Network + as its meant for people with no experience.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

No problem, good luck
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

For one thing, doing remote troubleshooting through a forum such as this will provide you with personal experience doing what you eventually want to do. While it won't give you the physical, hands-on experience you also need, it's a good way to hone your troubleshooting skills, as it requires being able to visualize a problem rather than seeing it right in front of you.

Being able to troubleshoot effectively is the most important skill in technical support work. The basic methods actually don't really vary much at all, even when talking about vastly different fields. With a bit of basic knowledge of how a system works, it's possible to troubleshoot many things you have little prior experience with.

Closed Thread