Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Supporting MS Office Suites Question

This is a discussion on Supporting MS Office Suites Question within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, just looking for your opinion on something. I've been working a job doing desktop support (and some remote

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hi guys, just looking for your opinion on something. I've been working a job doing desktop support (and some remote support) at an electric plant with about 250 people in it. I haven't really run into any issues so far, that were considered my responsibility, that I've felt were beyond my skill. However, every so often, I get questions from people regarding things like how to set up a macro in Excel, do Vlookups (which I've learned now haha), etc. Sometimes I'm called on to repair Access databases, figure out why forms and reports aren't displaying correctly, etc. I'm trying to learn as best I can, but my training has involved the A+, Network+, and three Windows 7 certifications. Being fluent in Excel and Access for instance, is not something I've really had any training in, or used a whole lot in the past personally even.

So my question is, is it pretty standard for desktop support techs to support these programs, or are things like Access typeically handled by, say, a database administrator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Better to be the all around guy. Pick up a book and mess around with a sample DB. If one of the employees can be trusted, admit your lack of MS Office knowledge and they'll explain what they're doing. I remember the first time I heard "Quarry". Turned out to be "Query" . I didn't know what they were talking about.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

Agree with corday pickup a excel and access book, and there are a few tutorials on youtube.

TIP: The main reason forms etc wont work in access is because the person that has created it has made a mistake. You just need to find the error and either tell them they have screwed up or show them where they have gone wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I have the basics of Access and Excel down pretty good right now, and I'm just doing some online training to learn more. I just was curious if it was typical for Desktop Support to do this kind of stuff or not.
Closed Thread