Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Support pricing.....?

This is a discussion on Support pricing.....? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings. Wasn't sure where to post this and this seemed as good as any. I'm an independent support tech/engineer. I

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings. Wasn't sure where to post this and this seemed as good as any.

I'm an independent support tech/engineer. I support small to medium sized businesses doing all their support needs. Workstations, printers, servers, laptops, some IP phone support. Two of them (one small one large) pay me monthly. I'd like to have a matrix that I can use for everyone to put everyone on a monthly retainer plan. You can't make a living hourly. I'd like to charge X amount per each unit. I'm just wondering if anyone else is using a formula similar to this idea, and if so, what they think is farir?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Believe it or not, in the U.S.A. discussing price policy for goods or services is a violation of anti-trust laws. That said, you might consider a per user fee rather than a per piece of equipment fee.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

So you're saying it can NEVER be discussed? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

The fair price is whatever your customers are willing to pay. If the customer believes the value you provide is equal to or better than what you charge, then the price is fair, and they will pay the retainer. If they don't, they won't.

Fortunately, you've already got data to work from, because you know how much a few of your current customers are willing to pay monthly.

Even if I were using a matrix like the one you describe, what is "fair" to businesses I support might not be "fair" to businesses you support. Prices are different in different areas of the country. I might be able to charge $250/hr in New York, but might have trouble charging $50/hr in North Dakota (figures pulled from the sky; please don't base your rates on these examples).
Closed Thread