Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Study material for 70-640, 642, 646?

This is a discussion on Study material for 70-640, 642, 646? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am getting ready to take the MCTS Windows Server 2008 R2 exams and was wondering if people prefer

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am getting ready to take the MCTS Windows Server 2008 R2 exams and was wondering if people prefer the Sybex books or the MS books with the handy looking tool on the cover?

Also, are there are really good free study guides out there that people know of? Any help, tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/R
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

BosonMichael as well as the other Cert guys will be along shortly

But, in my studies, Both Sybex and MS books have there pluses and minuses but I like the MS books most. I own all of them from Windows NT up to, except the latest Server 2012 and Exchange.
They tend to be a bit drier to read in my eyes but have more detail.
Granted, I have not bought a Sybex book in a while so that may have changed.

As for free study guides, I doubt you'll find any worth a dang for free. Sorry

You may want to check out Free Cisco Microsoft VMware IT Certification Forums - CertForums.com
the site is based solely on getting your IT certifications for assistance with your studies

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I haven't studied for any Microsoft exams in quite a while. However, generally speaking, the MS Press and Sybex books tend to get the job done. Writing styles vary per author, but Tom is correct in his assessment that MS Press books tend to be filled with more content, but this tends to make them "drier" as well.

I often recommend studying two books; one will often contain what the other lacks, and one will explain clearly what the other could not.

I would recommend that you check out Amazon reviews, taking each review with appropriate doses of salt. Everyone learns differently - some people will prefer one book over the other, and vice versa.

Tom is also correct in that free stuff is generally worth what you pay for it. Think about it - do you want a well-paid industry expert teaching you, or some unpaid dude off the street teaching you?
Closed Thread