Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Starting IT

This is a discussion on Starting IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. BTW you guys are great and have really helped me understand some things about my computer. I really want to

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit Linux Mint 17.3 64 bit Mac OSX 10.6.8 (10K459)

BTW you guys are great and have really helped me understand some things about my computer.
I really want to go into IT, but I just don't know where to start. I already have a volunteer job doing maintenance/monitoring a computer lab, but I just do simple things like defrag, and uninstalling bloatware and associated registry entries, setting up accounts for new students, and getting rid of viruses/trojans. I don't really have enough money to go to school. I know how to make a webpage, but I need help but I know the basic formula. I started trying to learn C but I got kind of bored and stopped.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

moved to " Certification & Career" forum.
Quote:
I started trying to learn C but I got kind of bored and stopped
well , if you got bored, then that maybe not the area "programming" for you.
there are a considerable number of free tutorials online

it does sound like you are getting useful experience - removing virus and trojans can be quite complicated to remove completely - have a read through the virus / malware forums.

What other activities in IT are carried out in the computer lab where you volunteer - thats always a good place to start and see if you can expand further

Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

depends what you want to do.

If you want to be an IT technician or anything that goes after that then study compTIA A+ free tutorials Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

As said above, what do you want to do?

How far did you get with C? You should be doing C++ since it provides more interesting language features in my opinion, and is one of the languages which formed the basis for many other languages. There's different kinds of programming too, for instance, Kernel-Mode Development, User-Mode programs and Computer Science.

Since you seem to may be interested with Malware Removal, which aspect? Simply removal or Reverse Engineering?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit Linux Mint 17.3 64 bit Mac OSX 10.6.8 (10K459)

Actually, I want to build programs. For example I would like to build a program that would catalogue my music, search for covers and ratings from the internet, when the artist last performed and where, and if and how interested I would be in that music based on the number of times I have played certain music and so the program can compare that sort of music to mine... Learning my musical tastes. And also I would to be able to speak to it saying..... "I am in a bad mood, play something upbeat" And it would automatically open winamp and play it.
So I guess learning like python and/or php and sql and all that stuff. I guess that is where I would like to start. I have a program called "code accademy" on my iphone and I do some C++ from time to time.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Stay with Programming then, C++ is industry standard so it would be a good place to start.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Stay with Programming then, C++ is industry standard so it would be a good place to start.
C++ as a beginner.. yikes :/

I would tell people to learn C# and then move onto C++ because adding in stuff like Memory Management is just going to bog down a new user whilst C# does it all for you (allowing the learner to concentrate on the more important stuff like functions, operators, overloads and ofc, object-orientated programming [classes])

Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

You don't have to worry about Memory Management unless you start allocating things on the Heap with the new and delete keywords.
Closed Thread