Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Self training

This is a discussion on Self training within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've worked at a local "Break Fix" shop for the past 2 years, and I have my A+ and Networking+

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've worked at a local "Break Fix" shop for the past 2 years, and I have my A+ and Networking+ certs. In all honesty the majority of what I do is virus/malware removal, and little else. I'm being recruited for a support position, and a large part of the job is dealing with Windows Servers. I have almost no experience with Server software, and will be doing crash course self study sessions. I was hoping for some recommendations on books to read, also any and all study guides/ tips that anyone has. The job description is calling for Server 03, 08, 12 and SQL Server 2005 & higher. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Do have that job? obviousley they must no that you don't have the experience so they must be training you no IT manager would just throw you in at the deep end with no experience.

The re are plenty of study books but I would hold of getting the certs until you have the experience. MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-646 : Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator With CDROM By Thomas, Orin Author Paperback on 08 , 2011: Amazon.co.uk: Orin Thomas: Books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Serv...s+server+books

Exam 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 Microsoft Official Academic Course Series: Amazon.co.uk: Microsoft Official Academic Course: Books

The MIcrosoft press books are ok and there are videos on youtube microsoft server 2008 training - YouTube
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I did order the book by Thomas Orin, also I've been looking at LabSim, I used it for my A+ and Networking+ certs I enjoyed them, but they are very pricey. I don't have an offer of employment yet, but I do have an interview tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a better understanding of what the position is exactly. It could very well be a waste of all our time, but I'm grateful just to be considered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Just remember that being over certified can be worse than having no experience. I had lots of IT qualifications and was aiming for a too high a position it took me 7 years to get the advice I am giving to you before I got my first IT position.

I thought that getting qualifications meant you would get a good job but I was wrong.
Closed Thread