Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

QUICK QUESTION

This is a discussion on QUICK QUESTION within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello people , I hope everybody is doing good..I have something on my mind..so Iam thinking to myself..why don't I

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello people , I hope everybody is doing good..I have something on my mind..so Iam thinking to myself..why don't I share with my virtual best friends in tech support forum..lol
Ok so, my question is .how come in order to become a network admin ,you have to start from the bottom ..?!(like a help desk position ) And in the other end if you are a programmer you don't start as a help desk, you do what you've learned in school( which is programming) .and would be better if I go to college and specialize myself to be a networking admin(get a bachelors degree).because now days in school they have this programs in where you specialized in something instead of doing general computer science..and last but not least.what is the difference of working on a network operation center and being a network admin?! Is that the same?!..it's big questions ..sorry guys..let me know what you guys think ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Networking is a vast area with a huge amount to learn starting on the helpdesk gains you first hand experience and builds your confidence,you show you can handle the work to a certain level of competence and start learning the required skills to move to the next level and so on until you are both trained and competent to be an admin.no one is going to hire you as an admin straight off, there are to many skills and knowledge to be acquired to let someone with a bare minimum loose on their network.
Programming is a different skill set and even there they have a hierarchy

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

As said programming is different. When you go into programming you will start of with basic coding and then progress into more involved coding.

With networking you can't just walk into it without having experience of doing trouble shooting at a non network level.

A network manager cannot afford his network to go down during work hours, he/she has to have downtime after work hours. Therfore no network manager is going to let someone loose on their network unless they have a proven track record of being able to identify issues quickly and get them fixed quickly.

If a network goes down during office or production hours then this can cost a lot of money and can cause people to loose their jobs.

Think about this, just because you can drive a car it doesn't mean you can be a racing driver.

As for qualifications you dont need a degree for either a programmer can get hired by showing a portfolio of code he or she has written.

Whilst someone who wants to be a network admin needs to show he/she has exxperience of resolving issues from entry level support to tech support.

Degrees and certifications can be useful to both but what counts over anything for both is experience.

Someone with one years experience in techsupport for example is more likely to be hired by a company than someone with a degree and/or certs and no experience.

Someone with certs and a degree and experience will be more notable.

Remember if you go for certs do not certify beyond your real world experience and also if you think doing programming for a job then transferring into networking will be a good route to go, I think you will find it even harder to get into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all the inputs..I really appreciated.. There is the 3 question that still missing tho..like what is the difference on working on a network operation center or working as a data center technician?! Is that being an network administrator ?!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

What Does a Data Center Technician Do? (with picture)
Network operations center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Responsibilities of the Network Administrator (System Administration Guide, Volume 3)
All the info can be found by a simple google search something a good tech makes full use of

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

I would also add that most programmers I know, sit and code for 8+ hours a day. I would go batty at that point.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry623 View Post
I would also add that most programmers I know, sit and code for 8+ hours a day. I would go batty at that point.
yeah me too, the pc would be out of the window by the time I had to right conio.h for 500th time
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Lol...I don't think Iam the type of guy to be sitting all day and programming anything ..but thanks everyone for the replies
Closed Thread