Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

preparing for ccent any advice

This is a discussion on preparing for ccent any advice within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Anyone have recommendations on how to prepare for the ccent? I've taken my first 2 courses, on my way up

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone have recommendations on how to prepare for the ccent? I've taken my first 2 courses, on my way up to CCNA, but I found out we have the option to go for the ccent while were at it.

Has anyone taken the cert b4? I'm gonna look over and re-read some labs and chapters, but if anyone here has taken it before, i'd really appreciate some input and possibly some direction for study. Thanks i advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

I've written a blog post on this very subject: link

For CCENT study guides, I recommend Cisco Press. In addition, hands-on practice with Cisco gear is essential. If live gear isn't an option, I'd recommend a network simulator. Since I work for a company that creates one, my opinion is highly biased. :) Finally, test your knowledge with one or more practice exams from reputable companies - I say reputable, because many companies will sell braindumps/cheat sheets which will get you decertified if you're suspected of using them.

If you need any further advice, just let me know! :)
Old 05-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks for the info. The blog has a ton of good info that i've been looking through. I like it.

And yea I've been using packet tracer from cisco, although sometimes the commands don't go through cause a router version won't be up to date or blah blah.

I'm gonna scavenge through more of this, if I bump into any problems I'll definitely hit you up. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've been using Packet Tracer (an official simulator) and GNS3 for labs. For GNS3 you will need IOS images, but they can be obtained online. There are many useful free and paid resources online, I've used a CBT Nuggets CCNA video course. This site can also help you with your study: CCNA Study Guide
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

I took the Cisco CCNA classes from a local community college. My average score on the class tests was well over 90 percent.

Because I have 20-plus years of experience in the computer industry, I concentrated on learning important concepts and the information that is necessary in the real world. I didn't concentrate on useless trivia and ways to interpret tricky questions. And I missed passing the CCNA exam by a handful of points. You can draw your own conclusions there.

I don't think you can pass the Cisco CCENT or CCNA tests just by taking the classes, doing the labs, and knowing the material. You need another book plus practice tests.

I recommend Todd Lammle's book "CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide." Whenever he says "Cisco's objectives love this topic," make sure you memorize that info. Ditto for any info which he marks with the "Note" symbol. And if he mentions anything that seems like useless trivia, make sure you know it!

The only practice tests I have experience with are the Transcender and Boson. Of the two, I recommend Boson.

The Transcender CCNA practice tests are worse than useless. I bought them (ICND1 and ICND2) in December of 2014.

When I took those practice tests, I was shocked by how much of the material I'd never seen before. After some research, I discovered much of Transcender's material was either obsolete or else dead wrong. The flash cards section was the worst.

Transcender lists obsolete CatOS commands as answers to IOS questions. Nope, not gonna work.

And there are still some CatOS questions in the flash card question pool. When was the last time anyone saw a CatOS question on a Cisco exam?

Even when correct, some of Transcender's material was obsolete. For example, Transcender pushes the obsolete vlan database commands as the best way to configure VLAN on a switch.

The Transcender practice exams wasted my time and hurt my score. I just barely missed passing the CCNA exam. I think I would've passed if I hadn't wasted so much study time with Transcender.

I returned the Transcender exams for a refund. I bought the Boson exams and so far they seem more accurate, although I don't like the user interface as well.

Right now I'm studying for ICND1 and will take ICND2 later, instead of taking the one-test exam again.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

I took the CCNA years ago .. but I do remember using a site that gave you the chance to work out IP addressing and grouping similar to this one

https://www.lammle.com/ip-subnet-practice-page/

I have no idea any more what site I used and couldn't even remember the phrase I had used to find it. I spent hours on that site ensuring that I could work out IP addresses and Subnet masks apart from the other studies. Must have helped since I got through on my first attempt !!

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
The only practice tests I have experience with are the Transcender and Boson. Of the two, I recommend Boson.
Thanks for the props! I certainly appreciate it. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. :)

Regarding the obsolete commands you saw in Transcender - keep in mind that sometimes there is obsolete information covered on the live exams (IGRP, for example)... and so practice exam companies have to write questions to cover the content. Still, I can't recall the last CatOS question I saw on a Cisco exam...

The user interface is an attempt to mimic the interface that you will see on the live exam. That said, if you have any UI improvement suggestions, by all means, please submit them by using the Feedback feature in the Boson Exam Environment. :)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
The user interface is an attempt to mimic the interface that you will see on the live exam.
Yeah, I should've been more specific. What I didn't like about the Boson practice ICND1 and ICND2 test user interface was this: On the Transcender exams, after taking an exam or doing flashcards, I was able to print out the test questions, answers, and explanations. I haven't figured out how to print out that info on Boson. Can it be done? If so, how?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
Yeah, I should've been more specific. What I didn't like about the Boson practice ICND1 and ICND2 test user interface was this: On the Transcender exams, after taking an exam or doing flashcards, I was able to print out the test questions, answers, and explanations. I haven't figured out how to print out that info on Boson. Can it be done? If so, how?
Yep! To print an individual question, navigate to the question you want to print, and click the big Print button at the bottom (or click File, then Print). I don't believe there is a way to print all of the questions at once.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

So here's a status update. I passed my ICND1 exam in June and ICND2 last week.

After buying and using the Boson paractice tests, my scores were about 140 points higher on each of those Cisco exams than when I was using Transcender. Roughly half of the extra 140 points were due to Boson over Transcender, a fourth to my review using the Lammle book mentioned above, and the remaining fourth was because I took the separate exams ICND1 and ICND2, instead of the combined exams. It's easier to study for two small exams instead of one big one.

Some people could probably gain 100 points from the Boson practice tests all by themselves. The explanations in "study mode" are excellent.

Oh, here's something else I did, which nobody else has mentioned: I typed up my own "study sheets" which included information that I was having trouble remembering, such as OSPF states and LSA types, FHRP, and STP states. And I read and re-read those sheets dozens of times until I did remember that info. Six pages of 10 point type for ICND1 and another ten pages for ICND2.

So the key takeaway facts are: Boson, Lammle, and study hard! Oh yeah, and you'd better know subnets and ACL backwards and forwards.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator, IT Pro Team

My System

Excellent! Glad we could help your studies! And thanks for the props. I appreciate it! :)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosonMichael View Post
Excellent! Glad we could help your studies! And thanks for the props. I appreciate it! :)
You're welcome. I call them like I see them.

The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

All of those subnets
Give me regrets
Like unpaid debts
Hate those subnets
Closed Thread