Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Physics or Maths degree and Programming?

This is a discussion on Physics or Maths degree and Programming? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I'm (almost) certain that I want to do a maths or physics degree in 2-4 years time (I've left

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

So I'm (almost) certain that I want to do a maths or physics degree in 2-4 years time (I've left college and could go to university now, but I have other things I want to do first). However, I'm not sure what I want to do career-wise; I may wish to become an astrophysicist or something, but I feel I'll only know after I've started my university course. I've also recently started programming again and re-learning things (I used to have a very basic knowledge of a few languages at age 13-15--now I'm just sticking to one language: C++), and am enjoying it. I would definitely consider a programming job, even though I don't think I'll be doing computer science at university instead of physics or maths (in order of preference, the degrees I'm considering are Physics > Maths > C.S).

So, with this in mind, here's my question:

Hypothetically, if I am proficient in a couple of programming languages (I have, after all, got 6-8 years to learn before I finish my degree, and I don't see myself giving up), but I have a physics degree, how is that going to impact my option to program as a career? I.e. Will I be much worse off having a physics degree than a C.S. degree in terms of employability in the programming industry? Like I said, I'm not sure that I definitely want to do programming--or what I want to do at all--yet, but I'd like to know what my options will be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Some programmers do maths then do programming. That said most employers would rather see a portfolio of code and programmes that you have written to show your experience than some piece of paper.

Quite a few people I know who work in the IT field do not have any IT qualifications at all, this goes for Tech admins, DBA's and programmers. Although most DBA's and programmers do have Computer Science degrees and Business IT degrees.

As with most careers these days experience is what you need.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Alright, thank you :)
Well it's good to know that the option is still there if I decide that a programmer is what I'd like to be during/after university.

Obviously if I make that decision I'll do everything possible to gain as much experience as possible.

Thank you.
Closed Thread