Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

New career in IT

This is a discussion on New career in IT within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a BS in Business Admin. I have been in retail management for 15 years. Where can I

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have a BS in Business Admin. I have been in retail management for 15 years. Where can I go from here to break into the IT field? Should I get another degree or can I get away with getting certs? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

You'd do what anyone wanting to get into IT should do: get an entry-level IT job. You don't need an IT degree, though a degree will make you more attractive to employers (my BS is in Chemistry, and it hasn't hurt me one bit!). Certifications aren't required for most entry-level IT jobs, but like degrees, they can make you more attractive to employers. At this stage of your career, you should pursue only entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and Windows client certifications.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

What would these entry level jobs pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Depends largely on where you live, but overall, entry-level jobs don't typically pay a whole lot. Considering you've been in management for 15 years, you're likely going to have to take a pay cut... as would anyone who switches career fields and has to start over from the bottom.

Even though there might be a short-term loss in salary by switching fields, the main reason to switch fields is that the potential for salary growth exists in IT. Sometimes, you have to take a couple steps back to take several steps forward. After you get some experience, you'll be able to pursue better and better job opportunities... and those opportunities pay better the longer you're in IT and the more experience you gain.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Gone | Not Forgotten

At the bottom of the pile, maybe not much more than minimum wage.

Need to ask yourself, can you live on that ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread