Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Network Administrato Careerpath help?

This is a discussion on Network Administrato Careerpath help? within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay currently I have a B.S. in Environmental Science. I love networks, but feel way behind since prior to this

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay currently I have a B.S. in Environmental Science. I love networks, but feel way behind since prior to this I was doing other things and not focusing on computers . Through some stupid decisions and eventually doing something right by getting a Bachelors degree. I have come to the point I want to really work with computers via Network Administration. Currently, I am enrolled in a M.S. for Information Technology with no real work experiences and no certifications. So far one of the people I have spoken with said that the M.S. should not be what I am doing. That I should take some classes in networking such as the MCSE/SA and get certified. I am on the fence, because I am in the program and have taken a couple semesters already. I understand where the person is coming from that has told me that the degree might be to broad and that I need to really specialize in something when it comes to networking and to always keep up on the new technology. Just trying to get advice from others who are in the field on what I can do to get into the field and to gain more knowledge and experience.

P.S. The degree has System administration as a concentration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Neither certifications nor a degree is going to enable you to break directly into network administration. Network administration is something that you work up to through real-world IT experience. Neither certifications nor a degree is a valid substitute for experience.

Certifications are designed to validate the experience you already have. Degrees will open up jobs to you later in your career that would otherwise be unavailable to you, such as supervisory or management roles.

There's a lot of good information in this thread that is also relevant to your situation: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-879489.html

If that thread doesn't address your concerns well enough, please ask your questions here and I'll be more than happy to answer them. :)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

For what it's worth, my BS degree is in Chemistry. Hasn't hurt my IT career one bit. So your degree is fine. Still, even with a degree, you'll need to land an entry-level IT job. I had been a computer hobbyist since the early 80s, and even with a degree, I started out as a field service tech. Later, I became a systems admin... then eventually, a network admin.
Closed Thread