Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

User Tag List

Need help with the resume

This is a discussion on Need help with the resume within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all. I had read many articles about creating a proper IT resume, but unfortunately i didn't find the instructions,

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all. I had read many articles about creating a proper IT resume, but unfortunately i didn't find the instructions, how to write the Technical skills part.

I am working on my resume to apply for the Desktop Support position. My resume has basically 3 parts: Objectives, Technical skills and Work Experience.

Objectives and Technical skills are two the first things that the HR-manager will see. So it is very important to make it clear, attractive and technically correct.

And here is my problem - i don't know exactly, what is necessary to include in that section and what is not so important. Here is my draft version:

Technical Skills and Certifications:

Server Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003/2008/2012, Active Directory, Group Policies, WSUS, Terminal Services, DFS, batch scripting.
Client Operating Systems: Windows XP/Vista/7/8, MS DOS
Protocols: TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, DHCP, NAT, RIP, VPN, RDP, ARP, FTP.
E-Mail Client Configuration & Support: Microsoft Outlook, Outlook express, The Bat
Server Antivirus & Firewall software: Kaspersky Antivirus Administration Kit, DrWeb, MS ISA 2004/2006.
Virtualization: MS Hyper-V, Oracle Vbox, VMware workstation.
Workstation software applications: MS Office Suite, email clients, banking and accounting software.
Backup, cloning & disk management software: Acronis Disk Director, Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost.
Hardware: Supermicro, IBM, routers, AP, switches, firewalls, laptops, peripheral, biometrics.
CompTIA A+

Now are my questions:

1) Protocols - i don't understand why some people are trying to include very long list of protocols, that they know or at least have idea what is that. I think it is better to reduce that list and show only the most fundamental and important things like TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP and VPN. What do you think about that?

2) Server OS: i don't know exactly how to properly reflect in the resume that i not only know how to install Windows Server but i also familiar with the administration of the common server roles. May be it is too much and would be better to reduce it to just the short statement that i know Win Server2003/2008/2012?

3) Hardware - again, i am not sure how to make it better. I had some experience with deploying and administration of the supermicro servers and RAID-5 arrays.

So finally, i have dilemma. First of all, i want to get job so i want to make my resume attractive (obviously). Second of all, i also want to make it technically correct, and do not include stupid things.

Anyway, all critique will be appreciated. Looking forward to see some advises. Thank you.

PS English is not my first language so please try to not use some idioms or expressions because i am afraid i will not be able to understand it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

One reason that people get certifications is that it lets employers know that they have a certain basic level of education and proficiency.

If you list something that you are proficient in but don't have the associated certification then you probably should back up that claim with a reference to related work experience.

For example, when I was younger I would have listed something like this when claiming certain computer programming skills:

Familiar with dBase III Plus and dBase IV.

Programmed a turnkey collections management application for a major research museum.

Programmed a turnkey inventory management application for a mid-size (100 employees) telecommunications company.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

When submitting a resume for a potential job, one good thing to do is look at what they are looking for. A job posting will always list the qualifications the are looking for in a candidate. If you meet and/or exceed those qualifications then edit your skills and qualifications around what they are looking for. Don't use a "standard" resume for all job submissions, you don't want to look under qualified or even over qualified
Closed Thread